Chapter 18

Cassie frowned as she tried to intensely concentrate on her laptop screen. She was knee-deep in working on a project for one of her classes, and it wasn't as easy as she had anticipated. It contained many variables that made it more taxing and complicated than it had any right to be.

"Here you go, partner."

She looked up to find Johnathan smiling as he handed her a large black coffee. The project in question had the entire class working in pairs, and Johnathan had suggested that the two of them work together. Cassie was quick to accept his offer. While he appeared to be too laid back to take school seriously, he did care about his studies almost as much as Cassie. They always worked well together, so pairing up on this specific project was ideal.

"Thanks, partner," she replied as she took her first sip. She frowned as the hot liquid stung her mouth, but didn't care.

"How's the project looking?" Johnathan asked while drinking his coffee.

Cassie's frown deepened. "This one's a real pain in the ass."

"I agree," Johnathan chuckled. "Maybe you should take your eyes off it for a bit. We've been at it for over an hour now."

"But it needs to be done," Cassie argued.

Johnathan was quick to nod in agreement. "I'm not suggesting that we don't finish it today— I think we should too. But I also think that we should take a small break. It'll help you clear your mind, Cassie."

Despite her concerns over the project, Cassie decided not to argue with him. She took another sip of her searing coffee as her frown lightened up. "This semester has been so stressful," she remarked.

"I'd have to agree with that sentiment," Johnathan said with another chuckle. "But we've got this. We're gonna do well."

Cassie couldn't bring herself to nod in agreement. "I just want it to be over. I need to pass this semester so badly."

"I thought you were doing well?"

"I am, but... UGH, you don't get it, Johnathan! We have these projects to ace, and then we have final exams to worry about. I have to finish this semester strong if I wanna get into my dream grad program here at NYU."

"But you are gonna well."

"How do you even know?"

Johnathan paused to sip his coffee. "From what I've seen, you've always worked your ass in the classes we've shared. I'm sure that's how you are in all your other classes too. I think you've always done better on projects and tests than I have."

Cassie baulked at this notion. "I don't know about that."

"I think so," Johnathan insisted, his light brown eyes narrowed ever so slightly. "You're gonna do well, okay? I know you will."

"Johnathan—"

"There's nothing you can say that will change my mind, Cassie. I believe in you."

Even as he gave her this boost of encouragement, Cassie's stomach was still in a knot over the rest of the semester. But she decided to keep her mouth shut about her true feelings anymore. Johnathan wasn't going to agree with her words, so why bother arguing about the matter any further?

I can't let this semester get to me, she thought. I need to talk about this with Dr. Rich, or else I'm gonna break down before finals roll around.

***

Lexi and Isaac's second anniversary took place several weeks later on December 10th. It fell on a Saturday this year, so the couple had the whole day to do whatever they wanted to celebrate. But unfortunately for them, that wasn't going to happen. Lexi had to work a mid-day shift at Barnes & Noble that day, and Isaac desperately needed to finish up a final assignment for one of his classes.