Chapter 26

A couple of weeks later, Lexi was hanging out at The Bean's Knees with Isaac and her friends again for a weekend lunch. She wanted to relax and enjoy herself, but that would prove to be impossible.

Cassie sat in a chair across from her between Mariana and Felipe. She was telling some funny story about an incident that had happened the other day during class, but Lexi couldn't be bothered to listen. She couldn't even glance in her enemy's direction, let alone listen to her.

I can't believe she came back to hang out with us, Lexi thought as she sipped on her oat milk latte.

She had a sneaking suspicion that Mariana had convinced Cassie to tag along in the first place. But why would she want to hang out with her old friend group after ignoring them for so long? It didn't make a whole lot of sense to Lexi. Then again, it wasn't her business in the first place.

I'm glad Cassie hasn't tried to talk to me, she thought. I have nothing to say to her.

Lexi thought back to when she had screamed at Cassie back at the Halloween party. She had used the opportunity to unleash her true feelings at the woman who had made her college experience a living hell. It had felt good at the time, but it had also drained her both mentally and emotionally. Then again, getting all those feelings off her chest felt great.

Since that night, Lexi had managed to avoid Cassie until she had shown up for the first group hang out right before the second semester began. Lexi hadn't expected her to show up; but then, no one in the friend group could have expected that turn of events. (Outside of Mariana, of course.) It had left her worried that her enemy would start a scene or do something— anything— to upset her. Fortunately, nothing had happened. But that hadn't soothed Lexi's nerves much at all.

I just wish she never showed up, she thought as the hangout continued. I'm always on edge whenever she's around.

The hangout continued for a couple of hours, with Lexi piping up here and there. She continued to avoid eye contact with Cassie anytime she spoke. None of her friends or Isaac noticed that she'd done this, or maybe they didn't care. Either way, Lexi was slightly thankful that no one had pointed out her aversion to making eye contact with Cassie.

Lunch came to its inevitable end, much to Lexi's relief. DeShawn had a meeting with one of his professors and left first to make it on time. Felipe and Nikita left a few minutes later to walk to the library so that they could work on a class project. Cassie was the next to leave, saying that she had a quick errand to run.

"What are you up to today?" Lexi asked, looking at Isaac.

"I need to meet up with a classmate at his place to work on a project with him," he replied. "What about you?"

Lexi bit her lip to conceal her newfound disappointment. "I think I'm just gonna head home and work on a paper then."

Isaac kissed her forehead. "I'll text you later, okay?"

"Sounds good," Lexi replied with a grin.

"I'm heading home," Mariana chimed in. "I'll see you guys later!"

"I need to use the washroom before I leave," Lexi said. She then smirked at Isaac. "Enjoy working on your project."

Isaac rolled his eyes. "Thanks. Enjoy working on your paper."

The couple shared a brief kiss before Lexi went to use the washroom inside The Bean's Knees.

When she exited a few minutes later, she spotted a bright red scarf sitting on her and her friends' table. It was crumpled up in a ball off to the side.