Chapter 23

Cassie arrived back in New York City from being in Buffalo for winter break the day after New Year's Day. It was Friday afternoon by the time she said goodbye to her father and saw him out. She spent the rest of her day buying some last-minute school supplies and preparing for her first week of classes. She had just finished up and was about to sit down to relax when Mariana suddenly entered.

"Cassie!"

"Mariana, hey! How are you?" Cassie greeted.

"I'm happy to be back in NYC, that's for sure," Mariana replied as she hugged her best friend.

About an hour later, Mariana's parents left after helping their daughter move back into her apartment. The two best friends sat on the couch and exchanged exhausted smiles.

"That was a long drive," she said in between a heavy sigh.

"It never gets easier," Cassie replied while nodding. "I thought I'd be used to it by now."

"Oh well, what can you do?" Mariana remarked. "Anyways, how was your winter break?"

"It was quiet but good. My dad and I had a good time celebrating Christmas, and I also worked a ton at H&M. How about you?"

"It was quiet for me too. I celebrated the holidays with my family, which was fun. I also worked a lot too. I won't miss working at Best Buy after school's done, though. I'm so over that place."

Cassie snickered. "Yeah, I feel the same way about H&M. But I need the money, so there's really nothing I can do about it."

"So true."

Before Cassie could say something in response, Mariana's phone began to ring.

"Sorry, it's DeShawn. I need to take it."

"Don't apologize, girl. I understand."

Mariana got up and dashed into her bedroom to take the call. Cassie took the opportunity to figure out what to do for dinner. She thought about making something but quickly dismissed that idea. The long drive from Buffalo to New York City and helping her best friend move back into their apartment left her exhausted as hell. So, she decided to look into ordering something in for dinner instead.

Cassie was still scrolling through her phone looking at restaurants that offered delivery options when Mariana emerged from her bedroom half an hour later.

"Is everything okay?"

Mariana nodded before collapsing back onto the couch. "DeShawn and I were just catching up 'cause we didn't hang out at all during break."

"Wow, really?"

"Yeah, we were both too busy with our families or work to go out."

"How is he?"

"Good. We're going to The Bean's Knees tomorrow for lunch."

Cassie hesitated slightly before asking her next question. "Is it just the two of you, or is everyone else gonna be there too?"

"All our friends are gonna join us," Mariana revealed. She suddenly grew excited. "You should come!"

"Absolutely not," Cassie responded just as her heart dropped into her stomach. She could feel her appetite disappear in a flash.

Mariana's excitement disappeared just as fast. She frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. "Why not?"

Cassie laughed with bitter amusement. "Need I remind you that the last time I tried to talk to Lexi, she screamed at me?"

"But that was one-on-one," Mariana pointed out. "I'll be there, and Isaac will be there to support Lexi. Do you think you'll get upset seeing them?"

"No," Cassie answered in a firm voice. "I have no reason to be upset with either of them anymore. It's not worth it."