Chapter 20

"Are you sure you don't wanna go to tonight's party?"

Cassie glanced up from her laptop to find Mariana standing at the front door, putting her winter coat on over her outfit. She had on a ribbed tank top-style yellow bodysuit, white jeans with small holes in the knees, and white winter boots with faux fur trim. It was extremely different from Cassie's outfit— black-and-white polka-dotted pyjamas.

"You look gorgeous, Mariana."

Mariana smirked in response. "Thanks. So...are you sure you don't wanna come?"

"Oh, definitely," Cassie said, her voice laced with confidence. "But I appreciate you asking, though."

"Well, alright," Mariana replied with a hint of reluctance.

Cassie smiled. "Have fun, okay? Oh, and please use protection if you end up staying at DeShawn's tonight."

"Cassie!!!"

"What? Don't act like you two haven't slept together yet."

Mariana blushed violently and scowled. "Goodbye, Cassie."

"Bye!"

Cassie laughed while watching her best friend shake her head. Mariana proceeded to saunter out the front door. Cassie then locked the front door and stretched her arms over her head.

I'm glad I'm not going to tonight's end of semester party, she thought as she sat down on the couch. This is far more like it.

She found a new TV show to watch while shopping online on her phone. There was nothing she wanted or needed to buy, but looking was always free. Besides, she was finally done with final exams, so studying wasn't on her To-Do list anymore— until next semester, of course.

As the night carried on, Cassie continued to hear the party blare from her apartment. She didn't care; those in attendance deserved to blow off steam after completing their exams. She sat back on the couch while continuing to watch TV from her laptop.

This is way more chill than being at a party, she thought. I thought I'd be more...sad? Anxious? I don't know. But whatever I thought I'd be feeling over not being there tonight, I don't feel it. Maybe not going to parties is best for me? Yeah, I think so.

Cassie's smile grew. She didn't even miss Mariana as much as she had expected. She knew her best friend had secretly hoped she would change her mind and attend tonight's party after all. Mariana wouldn't admit it, but Cassie knew the truth. She could read Mariana as easily as an open book.

We don't need to go to every single thing together, she thought. I know she understands why I made my choice. I don't want to put myself in an uncomfortable situation that I don't need to be in. Why create that kind of stress?

Cassie promptly tuned out her thoughts to focus back on her TV show and online shopping. Her low-key night in was shaping up to be pretty good after all.

***

Lexi had spent the past couple of hours at Isaac's, attending the end of semester party. She had arrived with Nikita before the two best friends separated to find their respective boyfriends. Once that had happened, she and Isaac hung out on the couch for the longest time. They chatted about how exams had gone for both of them, as well as their plans for winter break.

"Thanks for tonight," she shouted into his ear.

"Anytime," Isaac replied in the same fashion. He then gave her a once-over. "Damn, you look good, babe."

Lexi glanced at her outfit— black skinny jeans and a black graphic T-shirt— and grinned. "Thanks. The best part? It's easy for you to take off at the end of the night."