Chapter 5 - Doctors are Mean

Shouta Aizawa arrived at the hospital exactly twenty minutes after he had hung up on his husband. He had used his capture scarf to roof hop and left a message with Midnight to keep an eye on his problem class, it may be the weekend but they still caused trouble where ever they went. Aizawa was almost panting by the time he got to the front desk. The nurse at the desk gave him an odd look, his eyes narrowed and an eyebrow raised in an unasked question.

"Sir, visiting hours are over." The nurse looked over the man he thought was definitely a hobo.

"I'm not visiting, a you teen was brought in earlier, heavily injured on his left side and unconscious, my husband should still be with him. I believe he may be dangerous, I need his room number."

"Visiting hours are still over, but we could always call over some guards to keep an eye on the boy if you're that worried." Aizawa sighed, the man was just doing his job, but it was still frustrating.

"I'm a pro hero, and that teenager is the main suspect in my case, I'll need to keep an eye on him personally."

"Can I see you're Hero licence, please?" Aizawa reached into one of his zip-up pockets and easily fished out his hero licence like he's done that a thousand times before. Spoiler: he has, nobody believes he's a hero at first. The nurse looks the licence over and then hands it back and nods to him. "We believe the boy's name is Danny from what Yamada-san said, he's in room 404 in ICU. He's still unconscious at the moment but is undergoing x-rays, blood tests and other tests."

Aizawa nodded to the man as he made his way to the elevator, he pressed the button to head to the fourth floor. AS the door was closing a hand jammed between them and made the door open again. A young woman waltzed into the lift, she pressed no buttons, she didn't even acknowledge Aizawa's presence.

Aizawa assessed the woman. She had long, straight black hair pulled back into a low ponytail, glasses covered her eyes, and a long white lab coat covered most of her with only her back tights and slightly heeled shoes on show.

Once the doors opened the woman strode forward, uncaring for the others around her. Aizawa noted she was most likely in a hurry, he only grew suspicious of her when he saw her standing outside of room 404, her blocky phone up to her ear and speaking in perfect English. Aizawa his himself around the corner to listen in to the woman's conversation, without being seen.

"The experiment worked, sir... Phantom has been isolated as you asked but more information has been discovered about the subject... It seems you're hunch was right, sir, the Fenton boy, somehow they are both the same... Yes, sir, we are currently in XHM-0374k, I'm requesting extraction at your earliest convenience... Thank you, sir, I shall keep track of the boy in the meantime."

With that the woman hung up the phone and made her way back to the elevator, passing Aizawa on the way but not showing that she had noticed him there.

That was a worrying conversation to overhear. Maybe there was more to the case than Aizawa initially believed. He took a few moments to compose himself before he headed back toward the room. Looking through the window in the door he could see his husband sitting by the boy's bedside, his form hunched over and worry creases on his forehead. A doctor was hovering nearby, looking through the teen's charts. Aizawa knocked on the door twice and then entered.

"Sho." Hizashi breathed out in relief. He quickly stood up and embraced his husband, the day had been taxing on him but neither quite understood how taxing until they both melted into the hug.

"Great, since you have someone to accompany you now Yamada-san, I will take young Danny here for some x-rays and an MRI scan to properly assess the damage." The doctor spoke in a hurried tone as he pressed the button on the teen's bedside, calling in two other nurses, who got the bed ready to be moved. "We shan't be too long." Aizawa didn't even get a good look at the kid before he was wheeled out of the room.

Hizashi took his hand and led him to the second seat in the room, close to the one Hizashi was sitting on before he entered the room. The blonde gently pushed his husband into the seat and then sat in his original seat, before gaining a serious look on his face.

"Ok Sho, explain, how on Earth can that poor, hurt, scared kid be 'dangerous'?"

"I got a call from Tsukauchi asking me to look into this kid that just appeared and fell from the sky, turns out they thought he might have something to do with the League of Villians and that they're training him to be their new teleportation user-"

"That's a terrifying thought, do you think he'd be doing it unwillingly? I mean the state I found Danny in, wasn't a pretty picture. He told me he's from America, from a town or city I've never heard of in fact," Aizawa let out an undignified squawk, that was impossible, 'Zashi's travelled every inch of America, "yeah, I know. But that had me thinking of those quirk trafficking rings you told me about."

"That's a possibility, a likely possibility now that I think about it, this could have been his attempt at escape if that's the case. But, just now there was a woman just outside-"

It had barely been ten minutes when the doctor came back in with a scowl on his face with Danny being wheeled in after him. The doctor was holding two x-ray sheets.

"We're discharging him." The nurses carefully put his bed back into its original position.

"What?!" Hizashi screamed, "have you seen his state? There's no way he can be discharged safely, this is ridiculous, under what grounds?"

"We as a hospital are unable to properly treat a person like him, there is no point in wasting any more resources than what we already have." The doctor's voice was cold and uncaring, the complete opposite from before he left the room.

"What's suddenly changed?" Aizawa asked, wanting to get this problem resolved as quickly as possible.

"We took the x-rays, and it turns out the boy is quirkless, proved by the extra pinky toe joint the x-rays have shown in the boy's feet. Our hospital doesn't have the right equipment and resources to treat him, they have different... requirements, to quirked people. I suggest you transfer him somewhere else. There's nothing else we can do for him." The nurses finish wheeling Danny back into the room and leave without so much as a word.

"That's impossible, the boy definitely has a quirk." Hizashi started. He was willing to fight heaven and earth for the poor boy. Meanwhile, Aizawa was on his phone messaging both Nezu and Recovery Girl. Nezu so he could ask permission to bring Danny, a potentially dangerous teen, to UA, his school, so he could receive medical treatment that the hospital had denied. Nezu approved. And Recovery Girl so that she was aware that he had a patient incoming.

"Have either of you seen him use this so-called quirk he has?" Both of them froze. Neither had seen him use his quirk, Aizawa wasn't there when he supposedly fell from the sky and Hizashi had only found him and nothing more. "My point exactly. You have fifteen minutes before the guards come to escort you out."

"This is clearly quirk discrimination," Aizawa muttered. The doctor didn't even reply as he left the room.

"Sho, what do we-"

"I've already messaged Nezu and Recovery Girl, they're both waiting for us at the infirmary in UA."

"You are a saint." Aizawa didn't respond. He knew if he did Hizashi would go on a tangent of compliments and he most definitely did not want that, it would ruin his reputation. "How are we getting to UA? Neither of us came by car."

"Shit." Aizawa sighed into his scarf, "I'll call Nemuri."