Chapter 14 - We All Float Here

It had taken a week for Danny to move on his own without the help of another person or crutches given to him by Recovery Girl. It had taken another week for Mr Aizawa to sit him down and show him a written test to see how far his education went.

They were in an empty classroom at the end of the day. Classes may have been over but students were still milling around, chatting with their friends and catching up with the latest gossip.

"Why do I have to do this?" Danny asked. He was sat at one of the empty desks, slumped in his seat. He kept glancing at the classroom door, wondering what his chances would be if he made a break for it. Not very good considering he'd only got his flight back to some extent. That was a fun couple of days, his flight came back suddenly so he ended up floating near the ceiling unexpectedly as he was winning on Mario Kart.

"Whilst you're staying here you'll be attending school, we need to see how far along your education is," Aizawa handed him a packet and a pencil, "there is no time limit but fill in what you can and let me know when you're done."

Danny groaned, he didn't realise that there were tests in the future. The stories about utopian futures were a complete lie. Looking down at the packet he groaned again, it was all in that strange language he didn't know.

"Is there a problem?" Aizawa asked reading into the teen's groans.

"I can't read this." He flopped backwards and dropped the packet on the desk.

"You can't read Kanji?"

"Kanji, yeah, that, I can't read it." He looked to Aizawa to see him rubbing the bridge of his nose between his thumb and finger, a deep sigh released from his lips.

"Let me get this straight," He took a moment and looked the teen dead in the eye, "You can speak Japanese fluently but can't read the language?"

"Speak Japanese? Dude, I'm speaking English." 

"No, you're currently speaking Japanese." Aizawa sounded like he wanted to crawl into his yellow sleeping bag and nap until the conversation ended.

"How can I speak a language I don't know?" Danny asked.

"I don't know, is it a part of your quirk?"

"Maybe, I don't know, never really spoken to anyone that didn't know English, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't read the test thingy you gave me." 

A large sigh came from the heroics teacher, "Let me call Hizashi, he can help you translate the packet. I'm also going to get you a Japanese tutor." With that Aizawa left the room with a cell phone in his hand 

Danny let out a breath and lolled his head back against the chair. He could feel something inside of himself, something clicking into place without even noticing it had been disjointed, like finding the lost piece of the jigsaw after searching for it for weeks. He closed his eyes for a moment, relishing in the feeling of rightness. He felt the room melt away. The chair he was sat on became a cloud.

"Do I need to call a priest for an exorcism or is this your quirk?" He heard the voice of Aizawa cut through his thoughtlessness.

"Huh?" He peeked an eye open and saw the ceiling a meter away from his face, "Oh - no need for the priest, this is part of my quirk."

"Can you come down?" Danny tried to float back down as he normally does with his flight but was unable to move.

"... no." Aizawa muttered something about problem children under his breath before using his capture weapon to wrap around Danny's foot and pull him back down to the ground, which he didn't stay on for long.

"Should I expect more of this kind of thing?"

"Possibly, this is kind of like when I first got my powers."

"Explain, I need to know what to expect."

"Well, there's the unexpected floating and unable to come back down, randomly going partly or fully invisible, phasing through or partly through stuff, accidentally freezing things."

"Why have I been cursed with another problem child?" Aizawa was essentially using Danny as a balloon, his capture weapon being the only thing to keep him anchored. Danny would just have to do the test from up there.