Chapter 7: Loveless

George was standing on what seemed like the end of the world. Carefully looking over the edge but saw nothing but darkness. Dim beams from the dying sun was the only source of light. Everything else was covered in darkness. Thick trees were blocking the way behind him. He was stuck standing on this fragile piece of land, surrounded by nothingness.

Whispers echoed through his head and sent shivers down his spine as he recognized who it was.

"Do it." The voice commanded. He swiftly turned around and saw his dad emerging from the woods.

The landmass got smaller and smaller as it collapsed into the void. His feet were only a few steps from the edge when his dad grabbed his collar. The dark eyes showed no mercy as they stared into his soul.

"There's nothing left for you anymore." The words appeared to be coming from everywhere, there was no way to escape. The light was now almost gone. The only thing George could distinguish from his dad's features were those hauntingly dark eyes. Those were also the last thing he saw as his dad let him go. George lost his balance and fell backwards. He tried to scream but no words came out. He was sure that it must exist a bottom of the void and braced himself for the impact. However, just as he thought he would crash, he woke up.

He opened his eyes in horror and quickly sat up. He was in an unfamiliar green room in a surprisingly comfy bed. His abrupt awaking made the cat, that apparently was sleeping beside him, jump in surprise and landed on the floor. Out of concern for the cat, he leaned over the edge of bed and that when it hit him where he was.

Dream's bedroom. Even more specifically, Dream's bed.

The blonde boy was sleeping on the floor. He looked so peaceful and snored lightly. George became aware that he was wrapped in a blanket.

Why hadn't the jock woken him up? They didn't even know one another. 

Despite Dream claiming that he now believed that George hadn't poison him, didn't erase the fact that his girlfriend still hated George more than anything else on planet Earth. Therefore George couldn't afford to be seen with Dream.

He grasped for his phone to check the time. Midnight. Great. His head was going on overdrive as he tried to figure out how to proceed from here. He could stay, but feared that it would result in an utterly awkward conversation in the morning. He would most likely also not be able to sleep anymore.

His decision finally landed on trying to sneak out and walk home. It wasn't too far away. Maybe a 30 minutes walk. But everything sounded better than to stay here any longer. George was grateful that Dream had saved him from the water, but major trust issues told him that Dream was hiding something that could come and backfire if George got too involved. He concluded that their project would have to be the only time that they could be seen together without risking something. The majority of people at school still assumed that George tried to drug the jock. George had no desire to put himself more in the spotlight by hanging around Dream, the guy he was believed to have nearly killed.

George gathered his things as quietly as possible, careful not to step on neither Dream nor his cat, who had curled up by the boy's side.

Just as he was about to open the door, a mumble was heard from Dream. George froze as he thought that he had woken Dream up. But as he turned around to check, he realized that the blonde was sleep talking.

George sighed in frustration as his mind was racing. Dream was the type of person that George usually would avoid. Still, as he laid on the floor with his arm around his cat and blonde locks in a big mess, it became difficult to deny the truth.

He forced himself to look away. All the odds were against him ever coming close to the other guy. The easiest thing would be to just suppress everything and move on. Having to go through the same things he did in England was of no interest. He was about to open the door when he heard his name being mumbled. George stirred around in panic, but once again understood that it was just sleep talking.