Chapter 10: Study date

George was still trying to wrap his head around everything that had happened. After Dream left him alone in the library, it was as if all energy drained from his body. So, when Karl and Sapnap offered to drive him home he accepted without any further questions.

Now here he was, in his room with the captain of the football team sitting on his bed having confessed that his former girlfriend had used his sexuality as blackmail. George still found it difficult to grasp that this was reality and not some wicked dream. Hence why he remained slightly guarded. An annoying part of his brain couldn't accept that someone would care about his existence enough to register his opinions.

Though he couldn't deny his hearts increased pace. The blonde jock seemed a little nervous yet his green eyes radiated warmth and care, something that George practically had forgotten existed. A small smile lingered on the tanned face, and it beautifully enhanced every detail on the jock's face.

He caught himself staring, trapped in some sort of haze. Letting his gaze fall to his hand, he suddenly remembered the project the two of them desperately needed to complete.

"We really need to finish the project at some point." George stated without raising his gaze.

"Oh shit, that's true." Dream agreed before leaning over the bed and grabbing his backpack.

Realization hit that his comment appeared to have been interpreted as 'Let's do it now'. George's eyes drifted to his bedside table, and he saw that his shift at the café began in one hour.

Green eyes found his. "Or is this a bad time?"

Faint blushing appeared on his pale face at the misunderstanding, and he looked away. The last thing he wanted was to seem difficult now that Dream had shown him such kindness. "No, or my shift starts soon. But you probably got a lot of practices to attend so I can skip it if necessary." The last bit was definitely a lie. Missing more shifts was not possible, at least not without consequences.

Dream waved it off. "No worries, they'll probably kick me off the team anyways." Followed by a short laugh.

With furrowed brows, George glanced at the other. He appeared awfully nonchalant regarding the subject. Football had seemed like Dream's passion, yet here he was joking about getting kicked off as if it meant nothing. He quirked an eyebrow at George's expression. He shook his head and once more glanced at the clock.

"Do you need a ride?" Dream asked in a casual tone.

"You don't have to–" George began but got cut off.

"It's an offer, no need to feel like you're bothering me. Despite, I got nothing better to do and I'm sure that Karl and Sapnap can keep me company while you work. And maybe we can study after you've finished working?" Dream eagerly suggested.

Accepting the offer went against everything George was used to. However, something about Dream's excitement got George rethinking his first impulse to decline. Plus, they desperately needed to make some progress on the project. And considering that he would have to wait approximately two hours for his mom to pass out on the sofa, studying would give him something to do.

Not fully comfortable allowing Dream to drive him, but the urge to try and make a friend was more prominent. So, he smiled slightly at the jock and gave him an appreciated nod, which earned him a big grin.

---------------

Of course Dream owned a fancy car. His car must be worth more than George's and his mom's yearly salaries combined.

He dreaded that the ride would be awkward, but Dream turned out to be excellent at small talk and the two of them didn't seem as different as George first assumed. Everything that happened during these previous days had managed to drown out on unpleasant, unavoidable confrontation: Meeting his supposed "girlfriend" Ellie again.