three

King of my Heart

Chapter Three: Mystery Boy and Meeting Will

"Lovely to sit between comfort and chaos."

-Ceilings, Lizzy McAlpine

To say that the boys were impressed with Max's skill when it comes to video games would be an understatement

"Pretty good for a girl, huh?" She spoke up with a nudge to Caleb's shoulder. 

"Pretty good for anyone, Max! Don't base your achievements on your gender, women are just as capable as men." Aaren reassured her.

"Yeah Max, that was awesome! Your score on Dig Dug is one I'll never be able to beat." Caleb added holding his hand up for a high five. Max completed the high five and then reached over to complete one with Aaren as well. Caleb then looked down at his watch to check the time,

"Guys it's 6:30. We need to start heading out to get Max home before 7:00, Aaren do you have all of your books?" Caleb reminded the group as he checked around their area to make sure nobody would be leaving anything behind.

But his head soon popped up as he heard the bell on the door as a group of four boys his age walked through the doorway. His eyes caught on the boy with darker skin, and his breath hitched in his throat, but he was soon shaken out of it when Max tapped his shoulder to lead him out the doorway.

"Aaren! Did you see that boy? The one in the red jacket was really really cute. Do you think he's in my grade? Do you think he and I could be friends? Especially since that's all we may ever be." Caleb quickly questioned his brother as Max's eyebrows rose in surprise.

"You can see when you start school tomorrow, bubs. But you'll never know if he wants to be friends with you if you don't talk to him, and you never know if something may happen between you two. Just make sure to introduce yourself tomorrow if you see him." Aaren advised his brother as the trio climbed into the Wang family car.

"Do you need a wingwoman tomorrow, Caleb? I can help you out if you want, it's my duty as your best friend after all." Max said as she leaned her head in between the brothers' seats.

It was at that moment that Caleb panicked for the third time today, he had just outed himself to someone he's only known for about three hours in a brand new place where he had no idea if he could be out like he could be back in San Diego.

"Wait, you're okay with me possibly crushing on a boy? Like you don't feel weirded out?" Caleb's eyes closed as he waited for Max to speak.