four

King of my Heart

Chapter Four: The First Day

"I'm damned if I do give a damn what people say."

-Lavender Haze, Taylor Swift

Caleb already didn't like his new principal

Caleb already didn't like his new principal. The man acted like they were simply wasting his time. Rather rude if you asked Caleb. Max, on the other hand, was just trying to get through the day as quickly as possible. But other than a dismissive principal Caleb was glad to find out that he and Max were in the same class. Now if he could just find the cute boy from the night before, he would be having a great day. For right now though, he was mostly focused on keeping both his and Max's nerves at bay.

"Ah, these must be our new students," Their new teacher spoke as they entered the room. 

"Indeed. All yours." As soon as the words left his mouth, the man was gone. 

"All right, hold up. You don't get away that easily. Come on up. Don't be shy." Caleb grabbed Max's backpack as she tried to escape to the back of the classroom. 

Max sent a glance towards Caleb to try and gauge his reaction but soon rolled her eyes when she realized he was looking around the room for the boy he had seen last night.

"Dustin, drum roll." As the aforementioned boy started his drumroll Caleb was frantically glancing around the room in hopes of finding the boy from last night.

"Class, please welcome, all the way from sunny California, the latest passengers to join us on our curiosity voyage, Maxine and Caleb." Caleb smiled as their teacher made an opened arm gesture to introduce them to the rest of the class. 

"It's Max." The girl spoke up to correct her teacher. 

"Sorry?" He stopped to let her speak. 

"Nobody calls me Maxine. It's Max." Her correction was firm. She was Max, never Maxine. 

It was then Caleb heard a whisper, "Mad Max"

That caught his attention and he turned his head toward the source and that was it. He had finally found the boy that had been running through his head since last night. He laughed a little bit to himself when he realized that the boy had been in his direct line of sight the whole time. In his frantic search, he had forgotten to look directly in front of him.

"Well, all aboard, Max and Caleb." Max grabbed Caleb's hand and dragged him to their seats.

It was where he excitedly whispered to Max, "It's him! The boy from last night! Wait, why are they staring at us?"