eight

King of my Heart

Chapter Eight: A Match Into Water

"I'll heal eventually, but faster if you're next to me."

-Gracie Abrams, Full Machine

Caleb and Max were slumped on the couch by the time Aaren and Billy made it back home

Caleb and Max were slumped on the couch by the time Aaren and Billy made it back home. Billy had already made his to his own house, letting Aaren know that he would be back over for dinner.

Footloose was playing in the background. Max held an ice pack onto Caleb's wrist, ensuring it wouldn't fall off. His whole right side was bruised, except for his face. A physical reminder of what had happened earlier.

"Caleb!"

"Yeah, Rennie?"

"What the hell happened?"

"Oh, you know, just your regular empath things."

Aaren's eyes narrowed at Caleb's dismissive response before it clicked in his head.

"Shadow monster?"

"The stinking shadow monster."

A collective sigh sounded from the Wang brothers as Aaren leaned down to kiss Caleb's forehead and ruffled Max's hair lightly.

The next day Aaren was in the gym watching Billy play basketball. Steve was there too, so Aaren was watching out to make sure Billy didn't instigate anything with him. Steve kept stealing glances at Aaren, which Billy caught. He really didn't understand why Steve was so caught up on Ren, their interactions had varied end results. But more often than not, Steve ended up upsetting Aaren somehow. That didn't sit well with Billy, not at all. Especially since Aaren was the first real friend he's ever had.

He looked back over at Ren and smiled when he saw that he had his lips pulled into a pout as he was reading his book. Steve saw this too. The word cute fell from his lips before he could catch it. His shoulders stiffened when he realized that Billy had heard him.

"No way, Harrington," Billy warned the other boy. His brain first jumped to the words he had grown up hearing, but he could now recognize that they weren't his own. He could care less about who Steve Harrington had feelings for, but he was wary about him having feelings for Aaren.

Steve stepped back a bit, the feeling of panic setting in. Billy rolled his eyes, grabbed Steve's shirt, and brought him down to eye level.

"Listen up, Harrington, I could not give a shit about who you like. But you need to fix your shit if you're gonna pursue Ren. Don't you dare treat him as a rebound or a second option."

All Steve could do was blink. The way Billy acted was precisely the opposite of what was expected.

"Do you get me, King Steve? Aaren is my only real friend, and I'll be damned if he gets his heart broken by some asshole who doesn't know what he wants. So fix your shit, and then go for it."