six

King of My Heart

Chapter Six: Drunk Words

"This party's shit. "

-Wish You Were Sober, Conan Gray

Aaren and Billy had successfully made it outside, the quiet air bringing Aaren some peace of mind

Aaren and Billy had successfully made it outside, the quiet air bringing Aaren some peace of mind. But, unfortunately, the air was slightly cold, wrapping around the two of them, making their tension seem even sharper.

"Billy, I promised not to interrupt, and I won't, but you've got to start talking if you want me to make good on that promise," Aaren said as he stretched his legs out in front of him, sitting down on one of the steps at the back of the house. The backyard was surprisingly empty, with no one else wanting to be outside in the cold air.

Billy couldn't seem to find the words he needed. But he started anyway, "It's all her fault. Everything, it's all her fault." He mumbled as he lit up a cigarette. Aaren sighed, reaching over to pluck the cigarette from his mouth. Billy stared at him, confused.

"I promised not to interrupt you talking, not you smoking. Continue."

Billy just rolled his eyes, already familiar with Aaren's stubborn nature. "It's her fault that he acts this way toward me. It's her fault that I have to cover everything up. Having to lock my door once everyone has gone to sleep. Build up walls that nobody wants to climb." He continued, Aaren letting out a hum to indicate he was listening. Billy knocked his knuckles against the ground, his breathing ragged from agitation.

"I'm someone who can't ever do anything right anymore. I was someone who could solve any puzzle, no matter how hard. Just to be disregarded as some stupid kid who can't even take care of someone else. I'm treated like some mysterious thing that needs to be regulated and controlled, just some fuck boy who can't commit to anything in his life. So that's the hat I chose to wear." Billy mumbled quietly. He turned away from Aaren, not wanting to see his reaction.

"It's not your fault Billy," Aaren told him.

Billy had to bite back a laugh, returning his head toward Aaren. So Aaren locked eyes with him, "It truly isn't your fault Billy. That 'her' you were talking about, it's your mom. If she chose to leave or died, that's not your fault." Billy stiffened at the mention of his mother. He had assumed that Aaren would have thought he had been talking about Max. But Aaren was right, everything tied back to his mother.

"It's also not your fault that your father cares about you conditionally. You do deserve to be cared about unconditionally, just like everyone else. It isn't your fault that people just decided you were a certain way and reacted poorly when you didn't act as they expected you to". Billy's breathing slowed, but he could only look at the ground. Aaren's words sounded foreign to him.