Chapter Thirty Three • Blood and Duty

Are we ready to find out what happened to our dear Loren? 

I apologize now for any errors in this chapter! I have gone a bit blind from rereading and editing this back and forth and my laptop has been acting up all day, sooo there might be some errors... Please let me know wherever you see one so I can fix it! You are the best! 

I hope you enjoy!

-Loren- 

He had lost his temper with her. His queen. Unacceptable. He berated himself harshly. His body was tense and his hands balled into fists. She is only asking if her husband is alright, or alive. As any wife would. 

"Do not apologize." He sighed and watched his queen; she had her arms wrapped around herself, her face slightly turned to her right. The icy blue eyes watched the feet of those walking past them.  

Jade looked up at Loren when she had heard him. She was sincerely asking for his forgiveness. Asking for something he should be asking of her.

"My apologies, Alva." He sighed and placed his right hand against his chest. He saw a little twitch in the right corner of her mouth when he called her by her false name. He needed to tell her about that. Someone else could notice it if he could. "I should not have lost my temper like that... you were only asking something that is completely natural for you to wonder about." 

A second of silence passed between them while they stood in the middle of the busy street. At last, his queen gave him a shy nod of acceptance but her eyes still expressed her own apology. Not being able to bow and show her just how sorry he was for lashing out, irked Loren something incredible. He felt so disrespectful it physically hurt him. 

"You should not speak so formally to me if you wish for us stay unnoticed." Jade whispered out of the blue. "You sound like you are addressing me at court." She added even quieter. "Husband."

Loren's heart felt lighter at the sound of his queen's temper shining through. "I am sorry. I will try to better myself, dear." He answered, placing a somber mask across his face. "Now let us find you a pair of boots and a cloak." 

"Yes. Let us." Jade answered and walked alongside him towards the village square. 

-Jade

Half an hour later, Jade sat on a wooden stump, pulling her new boots on. She inhaled slowly and felt them and her new socks wrap her feet in warmth and protection.

"Looks like a perfect fit." The vendor cackled and held out his hand towards Loren, asking for payment. 

"It sure does." Her guard answered and quickly counted the coin they owed and handed it over. "Do you know where we can find my wife a new cloak?" He asked and looked around while Jade laced her boots. 

The man nodded while putting his earnings away and then pointed Loren in the direction. They thanked him and went on their way. 

"I am starving." Jade said and rubbed her stomach as they walked. Loren shot her belly a worried look. 

"How about this? You go and find us a place to eat while I get us new cloaks?" He suggested with an unusually relaxed tone to his voice. "What?" He asked when she studied him in disbelief. 

"You want me to go alone?" She argued skeptically. "That is nothing like you." 

"It is right over there." He explained and pointed towards a merchant with a cart full of fabric and what appeared to be fur. "It will only take a minute or two."