Chapter Forty Four • Almost There

*Very Long Chapter*

Sorry for the long wait friends, work trip had me completely shattered! I hope you will enjoy this very long chapter! 

-Jade-

They rose long before sunrise, preparing the very last details for the long journey. Jade had slept quite well and could have stayed in bed for several hours longer if that had been an option. Unfortunately, for her it was not. So, when Maj had come to wake her, she had immediately gotten dressed and started to load up the cart with everything they needed for the journey. All the while Brother Richard had given her slightly dark and bothered glances which let her know that he did not see her fit to carry anything, her being with child and supposed to get as much rest as possible. She had ignored him, because if she had not helped... the others might get suspicious. Which she could not afford. 

"Are ye ready?" Ove called out to her as she walked towards his cart. Four large cows tied to the back of it. All peacefully waiting for wherever they were going and completely unaware of the short time they had left in this life.

"Aye." She answered, taking to his way of speaking so she would blend in better. 

Ove did not blink once at her choice of word. He simply gave her a content nod and walked up to his cows, meeting her by the one farthest to the left. He gave the cow a loving slap on its behind. Jade sensed some sorrow in the gesture and noticed a tinge of sadness in Ove's eyes. 

"I am sorry, dearest." He sighed and pressed his lips together as he studied the creature for a long moment. "My little Muma..." 

Jade instantly pressed her lips together to not let out a snorting chuckle at the ironic description of the absolutely massive animal next to her. She suppressed the impulse when she saw that there was indeed sadness in the man's eyes. 

"I guess it is your turn, even though you gave me many little good calves along the years." He said, seeming almost to have forgotten that Jade was standing next to him. 

"Sad to see her go?" Jade asked even though it was clear as day that the butcher did not want to part with his friend Muma. 

"Aye." He cleared his throat and scratched his stubble roughly before meeting her gaze briefly. "Muma is one of my best." He said and a proud smile tugged at his lips. 

"Why are you bringing her to the front if she is useful here?" Jade asked, befuddled. "Could you not take another one to the front instead of her?" 

"No... She is too old, my fine Muma." Ove replied and eyed the cow with fondness. "She stopped providing me with calves because of her age, and the younger one's still can... It makes no sense to keep her and slaughter a younger friend of hers. I have to do my part in the war... and sadly, Muma has become the only smart way to do that." He explained. 

When Jade did not say anything he continued, as if he was uncomfortable with the silence between them. "Truth be told, I had planned on keeping her..." He almost whispered. "Wanted to let her enjoy the rest of her years as she saw fit. As a reward for all the good things she has given me. Let her enjoy the summers, grazing the pasture as she liked until death would finally take her. She is the one I never wanted to slaughter... but... life had other plans for us, did it not Muma?" He asked his beloved cow while gently stroking her, avoiding meeting Jade's eyes.