2

Monday mornings. Nothing compares to them. I must be crazy, because I enjoy them. Monday mornings take me away from my mom. I was in my room, I had just showered and I felt so good. Like everything was just washed away and I could start fresh. I was in my room. The second master of the house, when I heard a knock on my door. Being an only child who's home alone, hearing a knock on your bedroom door, is scary.

"Who's there?" I asked, carefully walking towards the door.

"It's just me." A female voice rang out. It wasn't mom, it was Megan.

"God Meg, you scared the shit out of me!" I walked over to the bed and looked at what I had laid out for the day. She walked in and hopped on my bed.

"Don't give me a key if you don't want me barging in." She hopped on the bed. I stripped of my towel and put my bra on, followed by my underwear. God how I missed eating. I try, but I just end up throwing it up. The overly thin girl staring back at me, wasn't who I used to be. Oh no, I was popular. And pretty and athletic with a healthy diet and a ton of friends. Then it all went to shit.

"I gave you a key so you could check on my to make sure I'm not beaten to death when I don't come to school." I looked over to the girl on my bed, scrolling through something on her phone. Her wrists piled high with rubbery bracelets her dark hair splayed out all around her head. "And you should give me a key to your house." She looked at me strangely.

"Why's that?" She leaned up on her elbows.

"So I can make sure you don't bleed to death." I threw on my loose black dress and combat boots. My thin frame seemed to grow smaller by the day. "You really need to stop cutting."

"I'll stop cutting when you start eating." She retorted.

"That's not fair Meg." I whined as we walked out of my room, down the stairs.

"Oh but it is." She walked into the kitchen, and I followed her. "Eat this and I won't cut for a week." She held out a granola bar. I reluctantly accepted it. I sat at the counter, slowly pealing away the packaging. I took a bite and my mouth watered. The chocolate dipped bottom melted onto my tongue. I took another bite as Meg went over to the cabinet to get her scar cream that she kept here. She pulled her bracelets off as I took another bite. She rubbed the cream over her wrist.

"It's pointless to use the cream if you cut all the time." I speak up, trying to keep down the granola bar I just ate. I didn't judge Meg, Meg didn't judge me. We just both had our hearts set on fixing each other.

"Since you are that I won't for a week." She huffed, "so it's not."

"Then you're going to go and do it again." I stood, grabbing my bag.

"Not of you keep eating." She looked at me as she slid the bracelets back up her wrist. There we were. We had basically made a deal. If I worked on fixing myself, so would she.

{~}

Biology class with Mr. Todd. Everyone was presenting their "how life happens" essay. The person beside me presented. Then it was my turn. I stood up, all eyes on me slowly, that lump grew in my throat. It can't happen now. People would find out and if people know about my anxiety, I would have broken rule #3.

{~}

Nixon's POV

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. The seconds passed by, each feeling like an hour. Tick. Tick. Tick. Mrs. Frankly rambled on and on and on about some useless information about Spanish conjugations. Tick. Tick. Tick. With every second, I grew more and more worried. Bexley said she'd text me during second block. That's now. Still nothing. Tick. Tick. Tick. I watched the clock and waited. Then the door burst open. Bex stood there looking panicked. I shot out of my seat.

"Bexley. Please leave." I looked up to see mrs. Frankly looking down at Bex. I ran up to Bexley and lightly guided her out of the room and embraced her as soon as the door closed. I held her to my chest. Her extremely thin frame scared me. I didn't want her to be this was. I rested my chin on the top of her head. Her head rested on my chest.

"Bex. Bex it's okay. I'm here now. You're safe." I whispered. I was well aware of the faces in the window on the door. I could feel her chest heaving against mine. Our bodies were pressed together and a warmth grew as I held her. Her breathing began to return to normal and I felt her relax in my arms, yet she didn't let go. We just stayed there. I held her tight and felt her breathing.

"Thank you." She mumbled into my chest. "Thank you."

"Anything." I returned, "anything for you."