7

It was 9:57 when I woke up the next morning. Dylan was gone and my torso ached. I did the best I could to pull the covers over my body. The air was cold against my skin, seeming to pinch me. I groaned, rolling out of bed, onto the floor. I laid there for a minute before getting up and walking out of the room, quietly closing the door behind me and sitting at the top of the stairs, listening to the shouting below. I could actually make out a conversation this time.

"What? What are you talking about? Of course you are!" A deep voice, Dylan's voice, rang up the stairs.

"Abigail doesn't want me to, I'm not!" Nixon replied. They should have been at school, I guess they took the day off.

"Yes. You. Are." I could almost hear Dylan's teeth gritted together. "At least for her sake."

"No. You are now. She likes you anyways." Nixon moved something.

"We both know that's not true." Dylan returned.

"You have to do it. I can't." Nixon turned the water on.

"We both know why I can't." Dylan huffed. Grabbing something and standing up. I ran back into the room quietly, sliding under the sheets, pretending to be asleep. I heard the door open, then close, then something being set down on the bedside table, then a hand on my shoulder. I fluttered my eyes open and rolled over, groaning, to see Dylan. "Hey there sleeping beauty." He whispered. "Sit up I brought you breakfast."

"Thanks," I murmured, stretching myself out. He set a little tray on my lap, three chocolate chip pancakes, a glass of water and some strawberries. He offered me one of his shirts and I held up my arms as he slid it over me.

"How you feeling?" He asked, sitting down my where my knees were. I slowly began eating.

"Fine, thanks." I let out a weak smile. I couldn't stop thinking about what I heard.

"You sure? You seem like you're not here." I looked at him careful not to let him in on what I know. He smiled brightly.

"Nixon's not my anchor anymore is he?" His smile fell at my comment. He sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"Abigail doesn't want him to be." He stood up, walking to the door, "but he'll stay your anchor whether he likes it or not."

"But what if he doesn't want to anymore?" I asked.

"He does." He opened the door and she left. I laid there in udder frustration. I haven't heard from Megan at all and my phone had become useless. I didn't know if she was okay and that didn't sit well with me. I lightly moved the tray off my lap and rolled over, screaming into Dylan's pillow, thrashing around. What was I going to do? A quiet knock on my door pulled me from my tantrum.

"What?" I barked out, more harshly than I imagined it would have been.

"Can I come in?" Nixon. What did he want? What did he think he was doing? Whatever he wanted wasn't relevant. Unless he was here to apologize I didn't
want to hear it. I hadn't noticed but he had come in anyways. I groaned into the pillow, sitting up. I was startled when I saw him.

"What?" I barked again, purposefully being harsh. He ran his hand through his hair.

"Look, Bex, I'm sorry it's just-" he would have continued but I interrupted. My body aches.

"I don't want to hear it." I shouted, but then lowered my voice, "you obviously don't care because you watched her beat the living shot out of me and are still with her." The words flew out of my mouth dripping with venom. He began shouting why he can't and that he loves her. The lump slowly grew in my throat, I gave a few measly attempts to stop it. I breathed a little more steady as it grew, he payed no mind. "Stop it." I huffed the best I could, dropping my head into my hands. "stop it!" I repeated louder trying to catch my breath. The door opened and Dylan burst in.

"What's going on!" He shouted. Nixon stopped and looked at me. I glared at him and then closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down.

"She... She doesn't understand!" Nixon shouted back.

"Because she's in mid-attack you asshole!" I felt arms around me, not Nixon's. Nixon smelled more like axe. Dylan didn't. Dylan smelled like old spice. I preferred Dylan's scent. I was lifted up and placed down on his lap, he soothed me, stroking my hair.

"Oh god. I'm sorry Bex." I felt a hand on my knee but I smacked it away.

"Leave- me- alone." I huffed between breaths.

"Bex. Please, I care about you." He pleaded, I just buried my face in Dylan's chest. "Please."

"Leave Nixon. Just leave." I was grateful for Dylan then, I couldn't say it, but I really loved Dylan. Maybe not in that way but I did. He was like a brother. I've always wanted to have a brother. We even looked like each other, only I had blue eyes. The door opened and closed, I looked opened my eyes and looked up at Dylan. The lump went away and I felt okay.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"Anything for you babe. Anything for you." I smiled at his words. Babe. He called me babe.