9

I stirred awake, an arm draped over me, pressing against my bruise. I squealed, pushing it off and standing up. Sunday morning. I walked over to the window, pushing Dylan's grey curtains out of the way to see out them. Rain trickled down the windowsill.

"Cam is coming over today." I heard a grumble from the bed.

"Good to know." I murmured, looking out the window, watching cars drive by. "When?" I needed to know when I had to lock myself in my room.

"He should be here soon." I sighed at that. Knowing Dylan, Cam was staying over for their last day of school. "It's nearly eleven." I turned my head to see him. He stood beside the bed, stretching his arms up to the ceiling. I turned to see a car pulling into the driveway.

"I have some work to do." I mumbled as I watched Cam step out of the car, into the rain. I haven't really met any of the boys friends. I was shocked by the boy standing in the rainy driveway. Dirty blonde hair styled into a small quiff. He looked about 5'7"/5'8", it was hard to tell. His calves flexed as he moved. He wasn't bulky, but obviously strong. His skin was a few shades lighter than my own tanned skin. He wore soccer pants and a red teeshirt with sneakers. I was about to back away and retreat to my room when he suddenly looked up at me. Like he knew I was there. His eyes were brown, a caramel color almost. My heart skipped a beat when he smiled at me, exposing a row of pearly white teeth. He was charming, and truly attractive. I smiled lightly, backing away and scurrying into our bathroom. Soon enough conversation started as Cam entered Dylan's room.

"Who's the chic?" Cam said, I knew it was him. His voice was different than Dylan's. It was warm, a little raspy and not as deep as Dylan's, but slightly deeper than Nixon's.

"That's Bex." I could feel Dylan's smirk as he said my name.

"Could I meet her?" I heard Cam ask. I smiled to myself, retreating to my room. I figured I'd get dressed, I could probably slip past the boys and go out today, go see Megan. If she saw my progress she would be impressed. It was already 81 degrees outside and unbearably humid. I threw on a pair of shorts and a thin tank top. I walked to my night stand, looking at my phone. No notifications, the once important device had now become a lifeless alarm clock. The silence in the room was deafening. My stomach growled, breaking the silence that was ringing in my ears. Could I make it to the kitchen unnoticed? I thought to myself, pondering the possibilities. Willing to take the chance, I quietly opened my door and stepped into the hallway, floorboards groaning underneath my feet. Slowly, I made my way past the boys rooms to the stairs. I hustled down the eleven steps and around the corner into the kitchen. The large windows in the room showed my the grey sky's that dropped water down onto the window. I put the tea kettle on and pull out my box of green tea, placing it beside the stainless steal stove. The matching fridge a few feet away called my name, beckoning for me to pull the sweet raspberries out it and eat them for my breakfast. I obeyed it's call and brought a small bowl of the red berries to the counter top bar in front of the window. I watched rain drops race down the glass, I would always root on the one I knew would loose, and end up being disappointed. I seem to do that a lot in small ways, set myself up for disappointment.

"Is there more of those raspberries," a voice came from the doorway. I turned my head to see Cam standing there, leaning against the trim of the large doorway.

"Yeah." I try to say as sweetly as possible as I got up from my tall seat and walked to the fridge. "We have some other things too if you want." I turn back around to find him right there. Face to face as if someone had placed us there. I jumped a little at first.

"I'm sorry if I scared you, but I was going to say I can help myself." A small smirk curled on his lips.

"Alright then." I slipped away, back to my seat. The rain drops raced each other as I listened to Cam prodding around in the fridge. Then a blue bowl, whisk matching to mine, filled with raspberries was placed on the counter beside me with a careless thud.

"It's a shitty day outside." Cam pointed out.

"No." I replied lightly, "it's just wet." I looked over at his expression. He was just looking at me, smiling. "What?" I giggled. He just shook his head chuckling. "What? It's true!" I pleaded playfully.

"Dylan always said you were shy. But you're not." We continued to talk, lightly laughing on about something here or there. It never got old. It was never dull. But then a question came up that forced my long lasting smile to fade. "Why are you here?" I knew it wasn't meant to be rude. I guess he thought he I perceived it that way because he soon added, "not to be rude or anything." I just smiled halfheartedly.

"It's a long story." I stood up, bringing my bowl to the sink, placing it in lightly.

"I didn't mean to make you upset." He huffed, placing his bowl in the sink too. "Hey, you know what? Let's all go back to the quarry today, go swimming." He was trying hard to spend more time with me and wasn't bothering to hide it.

"But like you said, it's shitty outside." I turned around. 

"What? Afraid you're gonna get wet?" He smirked.