[6] J A W A D

JAWAD

The half moon stands in the middle of the dark, peaceful sky. Its dim rays shining on what it wishes. I'm standing a few meters from the Mashrabiyya window in my room. The weak rays of the moonlight cast the rhombic patterns of the Mashrabiyya on my face. I unfold my hands behind my back and take a few steps to the Mashrabiya. My forehead is resting on it, my two hands grips it base and my eyes are staring deeply at the moon.

The moon gifting the night with its light makes me remember someone. The one, who gave me light in this dark world. The one whom my journey in this world started from. The one whose smile brought a smile to my face. The one whom I have happy memories with, but so painful to reminisce. My mother, ummi.

Mere thoughts of her, fills my heart with joy. The joy evolved into sorrow and agony because she is no more. Her smiles, her words, her actions died with her. Only the memories of them linger in my head. Memories are imaginations; they do no justice to how she was in reality.

My mother was my light. Whenever it's dark, or I'm lost, I run to her and I find my way back. I'm lost now, I lost my light, and I lost my reason to be happy when she died 10 years ago. I lost my light, just like how the moon rays relax at dawn. I'm holding up to the string of hope that the night lost its moon to get the sunlight.

I stare deeper at the moon. Ya Allah will I also find my sunlight after losing my moon?

****

The hallway is quiet. The guards around my chamber are few; I guess some went to freshen up. The morning is still fresh. I want to take Aqwa on an early morning ride. The barn is close to Zayd's chamber. I pray I don't come in contact with him. I'm not ready for his dramas.

I'm almost close to the barn when I see Tahira. This is much worse than coming in contact with Zayd. Alhamdulillah I already have my hood over my head, I pray she doesn't recognize me. I lower my head as we pass each other. I've barely taken another step when I hear my name.

"Amir, is that you?" I hear, but I continue walking, even faster. I hear someone running towards me. I'm about to continue walking when I see Tahira in front of me. "I knew it, you're the one."

"salam alaykum." I say. Tahira is one of the reasons I'm dreading the upcoming bridal selection. I can't imagine living my life with someone like her. She's conceited, discourteous, and sly.

"Where are you headed to this morning?"

"I doubt that's any of your business, now if you'll excuse me." I try to move, but she blocks me again. What's she up to?

"You don't like that I'm in your way?" she asks, her voice very low. "I don't like that you're in my way also... my husband's way."

I'm quiet. She's married to Zayd doesn't mean she can talk to me in any manner she wishes. I'm letting her be, so as for peace to reign. She's still in my way, her arms folded against her chest.

"What's going on, Tahira what are you doing there?" A female voice reverberates from the hallway opposite where we are standing. Tahira unfolds her arms, her gaze flickers to the woman's direction. Her facial skin creases, she looks frightened.

"Where is what I asked you to come with?" She asks Tahira with a hard glare on. "Answer me... don't tell me you haven't checked for it." She continues querying Tahira. She's oblivious to my presence. I'll have like to leave without her noticing, but it isn't possible. They're both in my way.

"Salam alaykum Malika." Her cold stare shifts from Tahira to me. The glare disappears, her brows quirk up, she looks confused and shocked.

"Jawad?" she asks, unsure. "Why... why are you here?"