[26] A M N A

AMNA

“Why do you trust her so much?”

“She is my wife.” No valid justification to his revelation comes to my head.

“When? How-How?”

He chuckles, and I keep staring at him, quirking my brow. How could he be married to Dalia? I thought everything about her is known to me, but to think of it she hasn’t mentioned having feelings for anyone except… that day I caught her speaking to Haider, and she confessed to liking him, but still…

“We have been married for about two years now.”

“Two years!” How many things do I know about Dalia? I feel like I know nothing about her.

“Yes…” His tone sounds sad. “I married her to keep her safe. No one will hurt her family, knowing she’s married to the crown prince. Though I love her… I’ve always loved her…” He sighs deeply. “I don’t think she loves me, our marriage has been rocky. I hope it gets better insha Allah.”

“You know… I never knew you were married, but I’m sure Dalia loves you. It might be hard for her to show it, but she does. And I wish you two the best…” I hit his chest playfully. “So stop being sad.”

He chuckles. “I’ll do just that. Shukran.”

“Never mind… Where is she now?”

“She is no longer safe here because she has been caught, so I took her back to Wahda. She is in Wahda now.”

“Wow, I hope I get to see her soon. We have a lot to catch up on.”

He smiles. “Yes you do.”

“Why did you come to Dhahab… What is your main aim?”

“I came for two reasons… like I said earlier, for you and also to—” We both look up when we hear a neigh of a horse. “I think they are here.”

A brown horse stops before us; the rider climbs down and bows his head.

“Amir,” he says.

“Where are the rest and the horses, Ammar? Why did you come alone?”

“Sorry Amir, only I could make it here… The rest are close to the border. We didn’t want to come together, so it wouldn’t look suspicious.”

“Uhhm, that is true…” Haider rubs his chin. “But how is Amna going to ride?”

“Don’t worry, she’ll ride with me.” I swivel my head in the direction of the deep voice that travels down my spine. Why does my body always reacts to him?

Jawad.

I want to fly into his arms though I just concluded that he hates me, but I decide against it. I remain in my position because of the embarrassment I faced the last time.

I don’t want any repetition of that awkward scene.

I keep staring at Jawad on his favourite horse—Aqwa. The stare breaks when he climbs down the horse, he takes long strides to where we stand.

Haider nudges his guard and they both bow before Haider. I wonder how he is able to do that, and he is a crown prince himself. I thought all royals have some sort of ego that they can’t bow to anyone except their sultan. How was he able to keep up with being a mere guard? What is his main mission?

“Amir Jawad… You are here?”

“Yes I’m because I don’t trust anyone with her.” he grabs my arm and pulls me to him. My nose comes in contact with his robe, his scent filling every space in my nostrils. He smells so good. “Where are you taking her to? I want to make sure she’s safe… so she will ride with me.”