[12] A M N A

AMNA

Something is tickling the pad of my fingers. I move further, now it feels like a fleshy projection. I poke the tip and it's squishy. I go downward and I trace it. I can tell it is something oval-shaped. I move to the side and something hairy graze my fingers pad.

My brain joins the dot together. I fling my eyes open in realization that I've been tracing someone's face.

I quickly sit up, my body almost falling from the bed. I stare astoundingly at the person lying close to me.

Jawad!

When did he return? I waited until forever, yesterday. When did he get back? His eyes are open, did he see my fingers tracing his face? He turns to face me.

I look through the window, the day hasn't broken. I haven't heard the Adhan for Fajr. The small smile on his face is visible under the dim light of the oil lamp. All the anger and sadness in my chest because of his absence last night is dissipating.

"Are you going to keep staring?" he says with the smile still on his handsome face. I shake my head and close my mouth-which I didn't know opened-to bring me out of my trance.

"N... N-no," I shut my eyes and open it to collect myself. "I'm not staring."

I look away from him. I notice the quilt over my leg. Last night I was lazy to cover myself, did he perhaps put it on me? I want to ask him why he wasn't here yester night, but my mouth isn't moving.

I adjust my body on the bed and keep staring at the red and white patterned quilt over my body. The bed dips, I turn to him. He's sitting with his back turned to me.

I turn away from him when he stands. I remove the quilt from my body and place my feet on the floor. I cannot see him, but I can feel his presence and smell his masculine scent closely.

Now I know he's standing beside me, his muscular feet are an inch away from my tiny feet. Everything about him makes me feel smaller. He squats in front of me, his knee making crackling sounds.

He grabs my bare knees with his two palms. I feel an electrifying spark travel from my knees, through my spine, then to my brain. He covers his palm completely on my knees when I don't flinch. How can I flinch? I'm dazed and appalled now. My brain isn't thinking straight any more.

"Look up, please," he says lowly. His voice is deep even when low.
I slowly raise my head, afraid of what to see on his face. I get lost in his brown orbs when I look into his eyes. I've never seen it this close. His brown orbs are like a calm fire, Fierce yet tranquil.

My eyes and his locks, we keep staring. Neither of us breaks the hypnotizing stare. There's a smile on his face, I can tell because there is a crease of skin underneath his eyes. I'm doing it again; my mouth is slightly parted because I'm lost, but this time in his eyes.

He blinks his eyes, which bring an end to the never-ending stare. I look down, mortified because of how I was shamelessly staring into his eyes some seconds ago. He raises my chin with the tip of his index finger. The electrifying spark returns. What is he doing to me?

He breaks into a toothy grin.
"I'm lucky," he says, his mint breath fanning my face. He stands, and then looks down at me. "I'm going to the Masjid, I'll be back soon."

He turns and saunters to the door. I watch his back until he's out of the door. I place my head on my thighs.

What is he doing to me? I groan.

After fajr prayer and dhikr, I am struggling to keep myself awake. But my eyelids keeps closing and opening. I fold my legs under my thighs on the prayer mat and recline my head on the bed as I give into sleep.