[14] A M N A

AMNA

I can't pinpoint which is harder. Saying goodbye to Jawad this morning or sitting on this camel's hump under the scorching sun. The stern look and warning he gave me earlier continuously rings in my head. It still sent me chill, though he was doing it in my favour.

Don't hesitate to inform me if anyone touches you or does anything to you.

He held my wrist tightly when he said that. I felt protected. Whenever I'm with him, I feel warm physically and emotionally. We have only been married for 3 days, but it seems like we have been married for three years. Like we have known each other since forever.

I've not uttered a word since we started the journey. I only opened my mouth when I gave way for the yawn I've been pushing down. The event already looks boring from the start of the journey. I'm happy Dalia came with me. When Khadijah mentioned bringing her chief maid, I also mentioned bringing Dalia with me. And luckily, it wasn't rejected because Khadijah was involved.

The Malika is uninterested in my matters. But she's very nice and calm with Khadijah. What am I saying? Of course, she's her daughter, but still, she's supposed to emanate a little equity between her daughter and daughter in laws. Even Tahira doesn't hold the same place as Khadijah with the Malika. It's glaring, I've only seen Tahira acting nicely close to the Malika, but she is still not treated great enough.

The camel knees buckles causing me to lose my balance a bit. I adjust myself and turn my head to Dalia whose camel was by my side. She's looking ahead; she doesn't notice my gaze on her. I look to my front. The tails of the guard's horses can be seen from afar.

Whenever the royals are going on a journey, the guards start the journey faster to survey the area to avoid any looming danger. The journey is almost through. We started earlier this morning at the onset of dawn. We are to get to the Tabib kingdom by mid-afternoon.

"We are close." One of the guards in front of us yells. I draw my veil over my eyes a bit to prevent the sun from burning my eyes. Truth be told, I can already see a few mud houses at each side of the sandy desert. I shoot my head up when I see a huge erected gate. The gate is made up of iron bars and spikes at the top. The perfectly arranged brick wall holds the gate at each side.

We slow down when we got closer to the gate. The guards hop off their horses and some of them go towards the guards guarding the gate. They wore a similar uniform, except that theirs was a yellow robe instead of white.

The guard talking to the gatekeeper nods his head intermittently. He bows, then approaches us. My head follows his steps as he walks towards the Malika. I watch as his mouth moves while explaining something to her.

"And why will they say that... don't they know who we are?" Anger and irritation is evident in the Malika's tone as she speaks. I can't see her face. I can only see the side of her green bead studded dress. And the golden glittering sequence on the edge of her black veil. The guard says something again. She nods her head and gets down from the camel.

I draw my brows closer to each other. I'm confused, and the expression of those oblivious to what is happening shows that they are as confused as I am.

"I apologize for the inconvenience, but you all have to get down. We can't ride on an animal inside their kingdom." The guard talking to the Malika earlier says.

I follow Khadijah's actions and gets down after she does. Dalia gets down as well and walks to me.

"What is going on?" she whispers into my ear.