003

—— BROKEN CROWN, act one

you can't tempt me if I don't see the day

CHAPTER THREE

Tommy Shelby found Michael, and like he thought the woman who adopted him didn't want him to see Polly.  Yet, despite everything that had happened, he slept peacefully for the first time in a long time. Not even Grace could make him sleep this peaceful.

He had issued the woman's plan, and it seemed liked Naomi knew what she was talking about because after a few words in and a letter to a corresponded for the Institute, he was allowed to legally adopt Anna Gray, put on Naomi's name. 'Long lost sister' he had said, and they had believed him. How could they not, the man had some well-respected military medals to his name.

He planned to not yet tell Polly, he didn't want to disappoint her if Anna didn't remember her or didn't want to meet her. Michael wasn't able to come on his own either until he was 18 years old which according to the records, he found was later this month. He had it all worked out in his head, which started to pound like mad. He had two nights of good sleep, although he felt it lessen by the second day. He hated how fast he got used to sleeping soundly and how fast it was fading again. But with everything going on he didn't have time to think about how and why he needed to get business done.

The hard part of everything was seeing his aunt's face when she entered his office. He grabbed the files he got from the adoption agency and put them on his desk. "These are the files for Michael and Anna Gray" Tommy said and looked at Polly. "After Anna was taken from you, she was put with a family of a rail station master in Stafford" Tommy said and took a drag of his cigarette. "She never settled and even escaped once and took a train to Birmingham. After that they send her over to Australia where she was put in an Institute for troubled girls." Tommy said. "Can we get her?" Polly asked. "Not until she's 18" Tommy lied, even though he knew she was currently on her way to Birmingham.

"Michael lives in England" Tommy started, and Polly smiled and grabbed his hands. "Pol, listen to me, the woman he calls mother will not let him go. If you go, and she calls the police, you might never see him again" Tommy said looking at his aunt.  Polly let go of his hands and dug into her purse until she found her gun which she immediately pointed it at him. "Tell me where he is right now" Polly said but all Tommy did was sit back in his chair. "If your shoot me, you won't find Michael" Tommy said. Polly yelled out in frustration and threw several things off Tommy's desk before she walked out of the office. Tommy just stayed where he was, hoping his aunt was not going to do something stupid.

But as he was sitting at his desk, the ash of his cigarette, which was slowly burning out, landing on the floor. He felt like his head was going to explode with everything that was going on. Polly's children, Sabini, and Solomons, branching out to London and internationally if Churchill would grand his license. Yet, as he was thinking about everything, he could only think about the Roma woman he had met. She clouded his mind and made him grave for something he didn't even know he was missing. Sleep. Something he hadn't known since before the war. Not truly.