004

—— BROKEN CROWN, act one

the pull on my flesh was just too strong

CHAPTER FOUR

The one thing that felt like the biggest thorn in Thomas Shelby's life right now, was the fact Inspector Campbell had returned, and was now Major Campbell. But he had not been alone. He had brought another agent of the crown with him, this time a man. He was tall and what most women he had met would call handsome. His name was Samuel Arlen.

Samuel Arlen was not the typical agent of the crown, he was originally American, who fought in the Great War as well. He stayed in the United Kingdom and became an agent of the Crown, now his one mission, given to him by Major Campbell, was to keep track of everything and anything Thomas Shelby and his family were doing. He wanted to personally start with Ada Shelby, but soon discovered that she had no interest in being a part of the Shelby Family and even lived away from them.

Then he decided to follow Arthur Shelby, despite Campbell saying how Arthur is only the brawn of the whole operation. He followed the man into the illegal boxing ring, which he didn't tell Campbell anything about because it was something he needed as well, to blow off steam.

As Samuel was watching Arthur Shelby, he saw Tommy go home one day, soon followed by a woman. She had the curliest hair Samuel had seen in a while; most women waved their hair now. She had a long skirt, and short sleeved top, and Samuel could only make one deduction; she was a gypsy woman.

He started to follow her and noticed she would come and go every night from her place, which was wherever she placed her caravan to the Shelby home. Always following Tommy Shelby, and whenever he wasn't there, she wasn't either. 

To Naomi the arrangement worked. She would visit him just before supper, she would go and help him with whatever he needed. Often it was nothing more than a chat and some tea. Which, honest to God, Tommy would kill anyone for. But Naomi was not a fool either, she knew how to watch herself. How to hold on to make sure no matter what, she would survive. So, unlike Tommy, she noticed the extra pair of eyes on her back whenever she walked back home, which was often late at night.

The steps followed her down the gravelled streets of Watery Lane, and she knew she had to be careful. She never made a deal with Tommy regarding her protection, and she didn't really think she'd need it, but perhaps someone had noticed how often she was present at the Shelby home, especially following Tommy Shelby himself inside. But what Samuel didn't plan was her noticing, so when he followed her home thinking he was clever enough not to get noticed, she took another alley than usual, which piqued his interest. He followed her, deeper into the streets of Small Heath, but the moment he thought he caught up to her and was able to catch her, she disappeared on him. He turned in his spot, trying to see if he had missed an alley she could have gotten into, but there was nothing.