015

—— BROKEN CROWN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Tommy looked at the red and blue caravan that belonged to his late wife. It had been a few weeks since the funeral and Tommy had avoided all responsibilities besides the legitimate business, even though it was mostly run by Polly and Michael. Anna had been the one taking care of Charlie, who seemed to do nothing but cry and ask for his Mama.

Tommy turned to look at the paint he had requested from Johnny Dogs, before throwing it in anger at the exterior of the caravan, staining the once brightly coloured wood black. Black like Tommy's heart had been. Everything had been a blur when she died, and she died in his own fucking arms, helpless as if he had been a child. His wife, the love of his life, the woman who he would murder for, dead, because of what? A gunshot that was meant for him, not her. The bullet that had taken the mother of his son, and the light of Arrow house. No one would ever mutter those words out loud, but Tommy knew, oh he fucking knew, how Frances now hated working in Arrow house with an anger, mourning Thomas Shelby.

But it was not Frances who should be scared or hate the work she did, it should be his enemies, because now, there was nothing and no one holding him back. Polly's worst fear ever since the funeral, because even Polly knew she was helpless. No one could be there for Tommy, like Naomi had been for the past few years.

"Has he said anything?" Ada asked as she looked at the window, where Tommy just arrived again on Rose, the horse who once belonged to Naomi, who seemed to be as sad as Tommy seemed to be. "No, he won't speak to anyone, he is only barking orders" Polly said, as she watched her daughter with Charlie. "What does he do? Does he eat?" Ada asked. "I don't know" Polly said, and if Polly didn't like something is not being able to know everything that goes on with her family.

Tommy had placed Rose back in the stables before entering the house again. For the past few weeks, he had only been able to sleep on either the sofa in his study or the guest bedroom. He had barely been able to look at Charlie, who had most of his mother's facial features, except his eyes, Charlie had the same blue eyes as Tommy had. Tommy had been fortunate to have Anna around, who had been given another guest room.

"He's usually up until early hours, either in his study room or riding outside" Anna said. Ada and Polly sighed. "Tommy made a list, before he went out" Ada said and picked it up. "He wants to see you two first" she said looking at Polly and Michael. "What about John and Arthur?" Polly asked, but before anyone could answer her question, Tommy walked in and walked straight to his study, slamming the door shut behind him. "They will go after; he wants legitimate business first" Ada said, and Michael and Polly went in. They sat in the chairs across from his desk and stared at him while he scribbled away. On his desk was a photo of Naomi and Charlie smiling, a picture they had managed to take when they went to the fair in London. His eyes were sunken in, clear evidence that he hadn't been sleeping much since the funeral.