014

——BROKEN CROWN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Planning a benefit was not something Naomi thought she would be doing in her lifetime. But she had promised Tommy she would, while also enlisting the help of Lizzie Stark, and Anna Gray. She took a deep sigh as she looked at all the papers, she had decided to write all the letters by hand, to seem more personal, but she had come to regret it when she found out just how many people Tommy was planning to invite.

"This is absolutely ridiculous" Anna said, throwing herself on the small sofa in the study room. Lizzie had gone home, she had to work early in the morning, and Anna had been at Arrow house more than she had been at home with her mother and brother. "Don't have to tell me" Naomi said. She realised that she was definitely not the businessman's wife that she was pretending to be in these letters, but she didn't have any other choice. She was asking the Birmingham council to attend as well, and they would answer better to a letter of the wife of a businessman than a Romani woman who was known to tell fortunes at fairs.

"Do you miss your life?" Anna asked as she laid on the sofa. "What life?" Naomi asked as she finished off the last letter before she almost let herself fall on the desk. "The life you had before? The travelling around?" Anna asked. "Ah, you mean the life I led with the Lee's?" Naomi asked as she stood up and sat on the sofa opposite Anna. "Yes, unless you don't want to answer" Anna said as she looked at Naomi. "It's fine, I don't know, I married the love of my life, and we have a healthy child, what more could I ask for?" Naomi said, but the haunting nightmare she has been having for the past month now. It made her zone out so much she didn't even hear her husband walk into the room and Anna leave to go to the spare bedroom because it had been 11 pm already.

"Darling" Tommy had said again, for the tenth time it seemed. Naomi shook her head and looked at her husband, it was still a foreign thing to say, husband. She felt luckier than she had ever been, but the dream kept eating away at her. "Everything alright?" Tommy asked as he sat beside her. Naomi nodded and smiled at him, everything inside her told her to tell him about the dream, but she decided against it. "Yes, everything is fine, just tired" Naomi said and folded her feet under her.

"How was your day?" Naomi asked as she looked at her husband. Tommy let out a huff. Naomi smiled. "That bad?" she asked, smiling. "I would much rather talk about your day" Tommy said, as he turned his body to face her. He caressed her cheek and smiled at her. "My hand feels like it's about to fall off, and everyone is accepting the invitations, so I have to keep changing the catering" Naomi said, her arm resting on the back of the sofa as she watched Tommy. "Hmm" Tommy said looking at her with a small smile on his face. "You aren't listening to me are you" she said smiling. "I am" Tommy defending himself but not sounding too convincing. Naomi laughed at him. "Tell me about something else then" she said as she watched him. "I been wondering why you won't wear the sapphire" Tommy finally said, as he lit a cigarette. "You will think me a fool" Naomi said but Tommy shook his head. "Never" Tommy said. "Alright, I been getting a bad feeling from the necklace, will you forgive me if I don't wear it" Naomi said looking at him.