006

—— BROKEN CROWN, act one

"better not to breathe than to breathe a lie"

CHAPTER SIX

Major Campbell was not a compassionate man, he wasn't cruel either, there were far more crueller men. But Campbell was not kind. He wanted to ruin the Shelby family in particular Thomas Shelby, and everyone he loves. So, when Samuel Arlen, the latest agent of the Crown assigned to help Campbell, visited him with some interesting news, he couldn't do anything more than use it.

"And you are sure it was the same woman?" Campbell asked as he was organising his belongings in his new lodgings. "Yes, followed her a couple of times to see where she was going. She goes back to a field, outside of Small Heath" Samuel said as he sat on a chair, looking at Campbell. "Did you get a name?" Campbell asked, his Belfast accent appearing in contrast of Samuel's American one. "I overheard someone call her Naomi, and when I went to ask around, someone said her name was Naomi Lovell" Samuel said. "Naomi Lovell" Campbell repeated and turned to look at Samuel.

"Do we know someone on that field?" Campbell asked. "No, no one we know" Samuel said. Campbell was silent and thought about their next move. "Do we have any idea what this Gypsy woman is telling him? Or do we know what she means to him?" Campbell asked. "What she means to him?" Samuel asked. "The same woman comes in and out of the Shelby home, with Thomas Shelby himself, and you didn't think she could be somewhat of value to him?" Campbell asked. Samuel was silent. "Do you want me to find out sir?" he asked. "Try" Campbell said and Samuel walked away.

As Samuel walked away, he didn't notice that there was a man in the alley, watching him. Thomas Shelby. He was supposed to meet Campbell later this week, with other IRA members, but Tommy didn't care about what Campbell wanted. And now that he saw Samuel leave the same place, it made sense to him why he kept seeing Samuel around. He would have one of his men follow Samuel to see where he would go.

Campbell also walked out soon after and walked past Tommy. "Settled in nicely?" Tommy asked as Campbell did. Campbell looked up, and quickly looked around to make sure no one was following him. "We are not supposed to meet until Sunday" Campbell said. "Yet, I am here now" Tommy said blowing the smoke of his cigarette in the face of Campbell. Campbell, who had been walking with a cane ever since Grace shot him, rolled his eyes and continued to walk. "We can't be seen together or our whole mission will fall through" Campbell said. "No need to worry, Churchill will make sure my demands and everything surrounding me are handled. Didn't he tell you?" Tommy said.

It was true, Tommy had asked for multiple export licenses for Shelby Company limited and used his military medals to appeal to a man like Winston Churchill. Besides, it was Churchill whom he worked for now, he wanted his help with the IRA, Tommy would use that. "Yes, he told me" Campbell said, remembering when the letter arrived. Shelby had mentioned he fought at the Somme and Verdun, which no one in the room had done. Most had done one of the two, but Thomas Shelby had been at both battles, and saved many of the soldiers there, risking his life and almost losing it in the process.