Prologue

2020

Love.

Such a strong word, which very weak people seek truly. What is Love other than a beautifully painted canvas, with your own blood? What is Love which is nothing but bitter smiles about sweet memories? What is Love if it's not a person and rather an emotion?

Abir stands in this same spot where he stood two years ago, but the older him has no idea what he is feeling right now. Many things happened in this long period but it all started here, where he first found out the meaning of Love.

Or rather, when he first met her.

24 months ago, 2018

"Hey Kunal. I hope you're enjoying your time in Venice. Because it sucks here man. Alone with Maa, putting up with all her bullshit, it really is torturous. The only thing that's pushing me daily is you. I know that you're happy and contented with your life, doing what you're loving. That's enough. I can deal with people like Maa all day.

Reply when you get this.

Your bhai,
Bir."

Abir slid the letter in the post box and smiled while caressing the metal. He still believed that phone wasn't suitable to him. Call him old-school, but he liked this kind of communication. These hand written letters contained a special kind of affection.

He believed that the person who'd take his or her time out to write a letter to the other one they loved so much, then it was a true love. People called him crazy for not using the modern ways. But they never understood the value of these letters. Advancement around the world was indeed half a gift and half a curse.

When Abir turned back to continue his merry enjoyment, least he knew he was going to bump into someone. And when he did, he never would have guessed in his dreams that the person would turn out to be Mishti Maheshwari, daughter of renounced business magnet, Vishambar Maheshwari. The Maheshwaris and Rajvanshs had a time to time competition.

"Have you sold your eyes?" The annoyance could be clearly deciphered from her voice. He looked up to see her almost drenched in coffee while his drink was spilled across the road. She must've headed to work. Immediately helping her regain her composure, he stepped back to have a clear look on her. She wasn't injured.

"Are you deaf too? Why do people with disabilities be left on the road at all!" Mishti grumbled without noticing that she was actually hurting his emotions. But she didn't have time now, did she? An important meeting was already started in her production company. She had signed up to be the female lead in the next movie ofcourse.

Without even waiting for a response, she wiped her coat, threw some stained pounds on the road, and took off hurriedly again in the same direction. All this time, Abir stood stunned not being able to comprehend her insensitivity. Why would she say such things? Why was she so rude? And didn't she at least recognise him?

Not that Abir was her best buddy, but they were, sorry, their parents were business associates. They had even met at a charity gala few days back. Not days, maybe years. That was the best of the contact they had. Kunal, on the other hand, had initiated a relationship with her. And they had broken up soon because of how headstrong Mishti was. She never bent. 

Her acting career was one of the spectacular ones. She had started out as a child actor, in one of the London's best shows, and then, she was totally into it. Movies, series, ads, you name them, Mishti Maheshwari is surely in it. Not only was she successful enough, she started her own production house named MM-arts.

It produced massive blockbuster movies and is the top on the list. With this, she had her own radio talk in a big FM company. Being successful was always what she wanted. But recently, due to her parents divorce, she had rather turned more stoic and angry.

Kunal, his brother, had tried to console her and be with her. But she adamantly pushed him away and called off the relationship. Her insecurities had taken over drastically. She wasn't the one to be blamed anyways. But Kunal was heartbroken. She was the perfect version of a partner to him.

Nevertheless, Kunal got married just weeks after his breakup to an unknown girl, Abir mused. All that he knew about his sister-in-law was that she was a fashion designer in Paris. So his mother found the best reason to do what she wanted. That Kunal should be sent away from the toxicity of the place. Instead of sending him to a world trip, she got him married.

Abir picked up the fallen pounds and properly wiped them. He dropped it in a street performers' box and smiled. Finally he had done a good deed for the day. But he was still not over the early meeting with the stranger.

Will he ever meet her again? Was the only thought running in his mind.

Let's find out if he does or not.

To be continued