.XVIII.

2019

Paris

Abir was hysterical. Hopping and jumping around like he's a little kid, he actually forgot to call Mishti's driver to pick them up at the airport. So they were waiting as traffic had amounted up in the road they were supposed to take to reach their hotel, which Abir remembered to book in prior. Pullman Paris. It had an incredible view of the tower and was just thirty minutes away from the airport, so commuting was much easier.

"If you jump again, I'll think you're doing it deliberately, to show that you've got two legs." Mishti rolled her eyes as Abir glared at her.
"There has to be someone who's excited about this whole thing." He retorted.
"Ofcourse." Akshara scoffed.
"Okay, whatever ice wall you've both built, let's melt it in this heat." Mishti said, directing the mini fan towards her neck.
"She was unnecessarily mean. And I'm not irresponsible just because your driver is a sleephead." She laughed.

Akshara sighed and checked the watch. She wanted to enjoy as much as Abir but she was desperately clinging onto a hope that Mishti would really change her mind. The thoughts kept her so busy, she didn't even realise they were already at the hotel. She stepped into her room and laid on the bed. She prayed for the next four days to go by very slowly, since Akshara too didn't want to miss all the fun.

"Knockety knock." Mishti said in an extravagant British accent.
"Go away." Akshara groaned.
"When in Paris-"
"Yep! Everything's better." She interrupted.
"Vis ta vie." Mishti said in French. (Live your life.)
"Yeah and you can foutre le camp." She laughed as Akshara whined again. (Fuck off.)
"I'm sorry if I don't act like a ten year old." She said after a pause.

"Oh don't worry, we already have one." Mishti chuckled.
"Guess we'll have to make the best out of this." She nodded and smiled.
"Freshen up. We need to follow his itinerary or he'll bury us. À la française." Akshara laughed loudly and began to unpack her luggage. (French style.)

After getting ready, the ladies linger near the restaurant as strictly instructed by Abir, and wait for their lunch. Mishti was enjoying Akshara's irritated sigh, the eye rolls and nasty sarcastic comments about strangers. Abir was right. She indeed was in a need for a trip like this, after all. After half an hour of waiting, Abir finally showed up smiling like a goofy puppy. Mishti couldn't help but return it.

"Spare me from the PDA." Akshara said, bored.
"You didn't invite your husband. Your loss." Abir smirked.
"So this was your plan? Making us realise how vital food is by starving us?" He laughed at her question.
"No. But a surprise is on the way." Mishti's eyebrows furrowed at his statement.
"Don't tell me! It's Crepes!" Akshara's shout made her look towards the waiter who was carrying the delicious delicacy towards their table.
"I know how much you love them. And don't worry. It's low fat, low sugar and filled with blueberries which were washed thoroughly." He explained, hoping that she'd like them.

Abir had made it himself, that was why there was a delay in the lunch they were supposed to have. He had to learn the recipe and get the permission from the executive chef. At the end, he was deeply happy that he could impress the woman he loved. The smile that grew because of her compliment wouldn't go away any sooner, he mulled. So, after a heavy meal, they set off to stroll around as their adventures would begin from the next day. By the time the sun set, Abir and Mishti were near the Eiffel Tower, letting the evening breeze soothe them.

"Thought for a thought, lady?" Abir asked, looking at her.
"Je suis enfin heureux." She said, smiling. (I am finally happy.)
"Common! I knew you were a tourist guide here! How do you even know French?" She laughed.
"I love Paris, Abir. As much as I love how much of a gross con you are." Mishti giggled again as Abir looked at her irritated that he couldn't understand what she said. (Dumbass.)
"Okay, whatever. But you're comfortable right? With all of this." He doubted himself again.

"First of all if I wasn't okay, you wouldn't whisk me all the way here gentleman. And secondly, je l'aime." Mishti grinned as Abir's eyes softened. (I love it.)
"Je t'aime aussi." He whispered, hoping she hadn't heard. (I love you too.)

Who would tell him that Mishti would remember those words and that evening, for the rest of her remaining life!

Present

Pembroke Castle, UK.

"So your sister-in-law actually met her?" She questions, wide eyed.
"Actually, she still is with her. I don't know what's going on there, since Kuhu hasn't replied to any of my messages and calls." Abir replies, being tensed. Akshara had visited him, after 5 years. Her son was playing with Amisha, so Akshara's attention was split up between monitoring the kid and talking to her old friend. She resented how she had lost contact after the incident, but she couldn't help herself.

She was vulnerable, hurt and wanted an escape. So Akshara found the way out of her friend's life, especially after Mishti made it clear that she didn't need her. Jiya arrives at the same time, with two coffee cups.
"Hey! I hope you like frappe because they were out of cappuccino in Starbucks! Can you believe that? That is complete bollocks-" She stops blabbering as soon as she sees someone sitting with Abir on the couch.
"I'm so sorry. I'll come back later-"
"No no! Akshara, this is Jiya. Jiya Maheshwari." Abir introduces.

Akshara's smile disappears as soon as it arrived. She looked at Abir, confused.
"She is Preethi's daughter." She whips her head towards Jiya in shock.
"Preethi Malhotra? Oh my god!" Jiya tenses at her mother's name being mentioned. And this was doctor Akshara, who had treated her aunt once. Who had witnessed Abir and Mishti's story. So Jiya comes forward and extends her hand for a formal introduction. Abir looks at the two of them for a little longer and excuses himself.

"Is anything wrong?" Jiya asks immediately.
"Uh no. Considering I'm meeting Mishti's relative for the first time, and that too the one she did not step mentioning about." Akshara chuckles nervously.
"Really? She mentioned good things I hope." The former settles down on the couch gingerly.
"Jiya, I wish Preethi and Mishti were there to witness you turn into this beautiful young woman. It's their loss, literally." Jiya smiles and nods, acknowledging that Akshara meant no harm.
"But, what I said was true. Mishti really talked a lot about you." She says. Considering Jiya's silence as a positive sign, she continues.

"She always wanted to have a kid, but given her condition as you know, it was impossible. So she loved you from afar. Gave you everything you wanted. But never chose to get close to you." Akshara sighs, sadly. Jiya is still silent.
"She was afraid, Jiya. Of getting attached and then having to let go. It would be much difficult for both of you. I guess she spared herself and you from some sort of pain." She explains.
"I want to meet her." Jiya talks after a long time.
"I don't think that's possible. We don't know her whereabouts." Akshara points out.

"I do. I was the one who cracked her location and sent Kuhu there." Abir stills, the tray filled with snacks rattling in his hand.
"What! Why did you do that?" Akshara shrieks.

"Because I know what happened to Abir."

To be continued

Hello peeps!

Was unwell this whole week, so couldn't update Fitoor.

I'll be ending this book soon, so there will be no further updates of the other one.

Hope you've enjoyed reading the story.

Stay safe and hydrated!

Love love ❤