.IV.

2019, Pembroke Castle, UK.

Mishti sighed as the shiny needle pierced her flesh. She was totally not in the mood for any conversation, but Akshara managed to make her vent out all that was stored in her head. And she regretted it, since her friend was now on the duty to solve the problem. This is what she hated. People decided to intervene in her issues because they assumed she needed fixing. She couldn't expect more from Akshara.

"You sure of showing your back to her?" She questioned while wiping Mishti's arm with the cotton.
"Well my beautiful face is defenitely out of her range. What else does she deserve?" Her snide answer brought a chuckle out from the doctor.
"Mishti, you surely deserve an award for that." She concurred.
"I mean, my mother has seriously stooped to that level." Mishti bitterly smiled.

"Ground floor?" Akshara asked.
"No! It's basement." Mishti groaned as the ladies giggled.
"My cousin, Preethi Malhotra, the greatest actress of her time, Oscar winner, eye catching theatre performer, requires forgiveness from me, a crippled former actress, with ego issues, because she feels guilty of grabbing my opportunity and gaining success after my accident." Mishti explained, turning back and noticing the person who had just arrived. She froze.

"So that's the reason you didn't wanted to meet her?" Abir enquired as Akshara literally warned him by glaring at him.
"Any doubts?" Mishti scoffed.
"And what are those?" She squinted her eyes at the bouquet of light purple pansies. Mishti absolutely disgusted them, yet she didn't comment about it. Because it was the first time someone made an effort into understanding that what she needed was simple gestures, and not apologies.

"Leave." She muttered to Akshara who gazed at her with confused orbs.
"Was it opium or the normal injection?" Akshara checked the bottle for confirmation as her friend was acting in a very weird way.
"Get the fuck out woman." Mishti hissed. And the doctor understood her assignment.
"She's in a bad mood. Scream if she bites." Akshara warned Abir and took her leave.

"Does it hurt when you bite?" He asked once the room was empty except them.
"More than a dog's bite, I can assure." Mishti snickered as the colour left Abir's face.
"Is it important to hold on to what happened or-"
"Did I, by mistake, give you the authority to indulge in my personal matters?" She asked without a hitch.
"No, but as a-"
"And, are we close enough to share years of trauma and bad past?" She intervened again.

Abir sighed. He couldn't get this woman to be positive or look at the bright side for once in the last 24 hours. But that didn't mean he would give up. He had to pursue her to find meaning in her life, so that his brother, Kunal could get a chance to do the same. But how would he convince her without revealing his intentions, because Meenakshi had tied his tongue!

"Alright then. I accept your apologies and resignation-"
"Hold up." It was his turn to stop her.
"I have not resigned on your orders, since I made the contract with your mother. It's totally her call." Abir clarified as Mishti rolled her eyes out of annoyance.
"Secondly, let us start fresh. I won't bother you with my stupid therapeutic advices and we'll take it from the beginning." He proposed.
"Back to square one then?" She sighed.

All she had to do was be herself and make him leave like that yoga instructor did. So Mishti enjoyed this retreat. Without giving a second thought, she smiled and nodded her head in approval.
"As you say." She added.
"So, we can start from being polite to each other since we are meeting for the first time, I guess." Abir reprimanded.
"Oh! Can you please get out of my room and provide me some peaceful moments for myself?" Mishti kindly questioned.

He was again defeated, in his own game. He certainly knew Mishti wouldn't agree if she didn't have readily framed a sadistic plan. Since he had already made up his mind, Abir did not show a sign of disappointment.
"Mishti, how old are we?" He asked sweetly.
"I don't know, grandpa." He chuckled shaking his head.
"Seriously? Starting anew?" Her scoff made him scowl at her.

"Atleast I came up with a resolution." Abir complained.
"What? By reminding our first meet which was so annoying? Or that time when I had to keep tolerating you and your little bro in the gala? Wait! This is the best one. Or is it when you bumped into me and I was distracted enough to become paralyzed for my whole damn life and lose everything in the process?"

The eerie silence that followed her outburst made Abir breathe faster. She was ofcourse blabbering because of the injection. Or else why would she blame him for her misfortune! But the look on her face said otherwise. Her features were pale and out of life when he started processing what she had uttered minutes ago. Abir was responsible for all of this mishap.

"I- I didn't- No. It was sudd- No it wasn't. I mean-"

Before she could complete her words, the listener had already fled the room.

Great way of restarting, Mishti amused.

Present, 2024.

"O.M.G." Jiya clasps her hand on her mouth while Abir chuckles silently, observing her reaction.
"Did she really- No!" She groans.
"She did. And it left serious damages." Abir winces.
"Ofcourse it would. It's hurting me so much to listen. Imagine how he would have felt!" She retorts.
"I know." Abir sighs.
"How could she!" Jiya still worries about the character, while Abir wonders about her life.

How would she have lived if she knew that she had a caring aunt? How would she react if she knew where her student fund came from? How would she process the information that the only person who didn't wanted to meet her, actually took care of her, because Jiya's own mother couldn't? How would she feel if her 21 years of life was rewritten, with Mishti being a major part of it?

"Sir?" Her voice brings out Abir from his reverie.
"My schedule for the day is ending. Can we wrap it up?" Jiya requests with an unsettled heart. She didn't wanted to leave, yet she has to. She had to upload the session on her college website.
"Um, sure." Abir mumbles awkwardly.
"So, it was very nice to meet you and get to know so many interesting facts. You are really an inspiring human and a warm soul." Jiya compliments as Abir smiles.

"I wish you gain enormous success on the release of your last book. I'm honoured that I'm the first fan to get the autograph on it." Jiya giggles, jumping with excitement.
"How would you expect your fans to receive the book, sir?" She questions.
"They have always showered love upon each pile of pages I've ever published. So, I hope they enjoy and feel what the characters go through. I hope that in the end, a part of them have lived through the story." He explains.

"Well, I hope they aren't disappointed enough to throw eggs at me. That too raw." Abir makes a disgusting face as Jiya laughs her heart out.
"I am damn sure they won't get a chance to do that. It was a pleasure to listen to your story sir. Thank you." She gets up from the chair.
"Same here." Abir nods and finally, they shake hands.

Jiya exits the room as Abir assists her. He makes sure she has gotten into the car and waits till she's out of his sight. Then slowly, he takes few steps inside the garden to think about his next step, on approaching Jiya, about her aunt. He realises one aspect from all the thinking.

That surely, Mishti would have loved meeting her.

To be continued