.IX.

2019

Pembroke Castle, UK.

Abir was fixed in a turmoil. He didn't know whom to turn to. If his father, his only friend in the world, would be alive, he'd have never put in a position, to choose between what's good for his brother, or what he wanted. Because right then, Abir wished for only one miracle to happen. He wanted to sit with his father and converse about what went wrong, where his life took a drastic turn and he failed to acknowledge, and where he had let him leave, even in death, without fighting for his father's life.

"I know it's hard on you, but I would have saved you from this situation, if I hadn't listened to Maa. I'm understanding now Bhai." The words his younger brother, his Nanko had uttered, shattered his heart. How he mistreated himself because of his mother, tore Abir.
"Listen to me Kunal, what you do and not, is dependent on your thoughts and wishes. It has nothing do with anyone else. Be it your mother or me. It's always you, who has to take decisions for yourself. You let that slide away for years, respecting your mother. But you won't anymore. Think. Think with your heart, Nanko." Abir pleaded.

"I'm a burden on her Bhai. She'll always has to be with me and not focus on her career, that's what Maa wants. And that's why she's urging for a seperation." Kunal sighed letting out what Meenakshi wanted from Kuhu. The mother and daughter-in-law, had difference in opinions, and that led to a distance between the couple.
"Why can't you live for yourself Kunal?" Meenakshi cleared her throat as the brothers stared at her. One with numbness, and the other with pure rage.

"Kuhu is ready for the divorce." She let out.
"Ofcourse. You're the one who convinced. Sorry, blackmailed." Abir spat at his mother.
"You're not at the place to blame me, Abir. You haven't succeeded in this job of yours, as all that girl does is threaten to fire you." Meenakshi said, loud and clear as Abir held his head low.
"Are you by any chance, talking 'bout me?" The sudden voice of Mishti makes him swiftly turn his head towards the speaker. There she was, in the wheelchair, IV still attached to her nerves, weak as hell, still raising her head high with confidence. Akshara glanced at all of them in confusion.

When she told the reason of Abir's absence, and didn't know the backstory of his mother's visit, Mishti decided to investigate herself. Her mother informed whatever happened between Meenakshi and her son. Mishti's blood boiled instantly when she was aware of the circumstances that made Abir take up the job. Asking her friend to discharge her immediately, she took her too, for the final confrontation. At the right time, she entered the scene.

"How did you come here?" Meenakshi's question made her chuckle.
"By flying. Well your reputation certainly betrays your IQ. Can't you see the car parked right infront of your house?" Her back to back statements felt like insults to Meenakshi, while Abir laughed lightly. Kunal was flabbergasted.
"So this is how Mrs.Maheshwari's daughter talks back to elders?" Her taunts instigated Mishti to fitly reply the old woman.
"Actually, I'm Mr.Maheshwari's daughter. My mom divorced him as you know, so she no longer shares his surname." Mishti pushed herself in, by touching the forward button on her wheelchair's armrest.

"What are you here for?" The woman asked as Mishti rolled her eyes.
"Finally a correct question. You were talking something about Abir failing as my assistant." Meenakshi was about to intervene when Mishti raised her hand, halting her from proceeding.
"I'm not done yet. So don't bother to add on, in between my words when all that leaves your mouth is utter bullshit." She warned as Abir smirked and Kunal coughed hardly.
"Firstly, I wasn't informed of this agreement between you both." She directed her words towards Abir.

"Didn't find a reason to tell you." Abir just shrugged.
"Well, it's my priority now. I don't care about your reasons. As your employer, I should have known about the influence your mother had on you, towards this job. You're at fault for that." She pointed her finger, gritting her teeth.
"Mishti, I-"
"Save it." She interrupted and faced Meenakshi.
"Secondly, Mrs.Rajvansh, you are in no position to direct your sons as they're old enough to know which flavour icecream they want to eat. So, I'd suggest you to take care of dooming business instead of others lives." Mishti told.

"So this is what you've brought me to, Abir. I have to stand and listen to some handicapped girl talking about how to manage my firm?" Meenakshi bitterly spoke. Akshara decided to advance on the lady while Mishti held her hand and shook her head, smirking.
"I knew you were a low grade human, thanks for proving it. Take back the prenup contract that you made Baby Rajvansh and his wife sign, or I am withdrawing my position as major shareholder in your company. Your already drooping stocks will reach a negative value if I do it." Mishti spoke confidently.

"Don't you know that Mrs.Rajvansh? That all your customers are ours too? That people still believe in you, just because Mr.Maheshwari is your biggest ally? And that he transferred all those shares he held, to his only daughter, just because she decided to talk to him for a minute on phone?" The questions made Meenakshi shiver. She looked at her son, one with a triumphant smile, and the other with a sense of relief written on their faces. That was when, she realised she had failed as a mother, and a businesswoman.

"Do what you want, but do not show your faces to me ever again. You're no longer my progeny, Kunal. And you never were, Abir." Those were her words as Abir, Kunal and the two left the house, asking Kuhu to pack their bags, and that her husband, would join to help her soon. Kunal looked at Mishti with gratitude.
"Thank you. For whatever it's worth." He sighed.
"Stand up for yourself. You aren't a kid anymore." Mishti told as Kunal chuckled and nodded his head. He didn't realise that would be his last meeting with her.

Mishti would always remain in his head, as a strong, headlong and kind woman.

His brother's woman.

Present

Pembroke Castle, UK.

"Amisha, baby, what happened?" Kunal sits down, to match his daughter's level.
"Chachu isn't talking with me. Is he angry?" She pouts, letting out the concern she holds for her uncle. Kunal smiles and pulls her onto his lap.
"Abir Bhai is busy now. And he's not angry with his Misha. He loves his princess too much." He pinches the kid's cheeks as the latter squeals and hugs her father. Kuhu, who was witnessing near the door, walks towards her family and squats to sit down with them.
"Mama!" The little girl goes to her mother, opening her arms wide.

"Yes, my darling. Did you eat your evening snack?" Kuhu questions.
"Yepppppp." She drags the word as Kunal laughs and pats her head.
"You taught her the word?" Kuhu asks her husband and he nods, smiling.
"Good lord. Let her reply normally for few years. She will adapt those new forms of words in high school anyways." She complains. Kunal pecks her one cheek as her daughter does it to the another. She throws her head back and lets out a heartful laugh.

"You father and daughter definitely know how to calm me down, don't you?" She tickles her daughter.
"Guess she also learnt this from me." Kunal winks at his wife, as she blushes red.
"Why is Mama red? Are you ill?" Her daughter's innocent question made Kuhu look here and there, smiling like a teenage girl, suddenly shy.
"No, you little devil. Common, it's time to watch your favourite show." Kuhu pulls her daughter towards the drawing room. That's when she realises Abir is missing.

"Where's the Royal Highness?" Kuhu questions her husband, who was looking near the backyard keenly.
"Later." Kunal mouths staring at her furrowed eyebrows, and walks towards his office. Kuhu enters their room, being tired and slips on the bed easily. That's when something pokes her back. Feeling uncomfortable, she tries to shift the object away, thinking it to be one of her daughter's drawings, and her hand finds a letter. It was addressed to Kunal, but the name surprises her, as her eyes widen.

Mishti Maheshwari

Kuhu sits frozen to her spot, not able to believe what she has witnessed.

To be continued