.VI.

2019, Pembroke Castle, UK.

"Are you going to ignore the fact that I had to read the article to correct it?" Abir's voice made Mishti sigh, again for the nth time.
"I am not an idiot to hand over the work just like that. And, did you ever consider sewing your mouth shut?" She asked, giving him a smile. She was doing that too much now and then. Smiling. The curve around her lips felt foreign yet familiar. As soon as Abir sensed that she had zoned out, he snapped his fingers to bring her back.

"You want to take down your cousin by publishing false news about her? Are you serious?" Abir questioned, trying to mask his irritation. He had believed that she was capable of being sensitive and project feelings. That was a rare response but he had succeeded in drawing out one. Yet, his opinions were flushed down the drain when he carefully analysed the article. Ofcourse, the manipulative Mishti Maheshwari did not ever want to miss a chance to gain her revenge.

"Reminder for the day, what I do and don't is none of your business."
"Yet you are the one who involves me in everything and expect a different reaction." Abir intervened.
"What did I even think!" Mishti scoffed. Abir squinted his eyes at her.
"Are you by any chance enjoying this? This is not fun Mishti!" Abir yelled.
"It is not! I want her to have a taste of her own medicine. Being dragged down when you are at the peak of your career is not something you can live with, for the rest of your life!" She stormed.

"How would you know!" The accusation didn't escape Abir's ears. He looked around, frustrated and tired. He wanted a day away from her and her stupid arrogance.
"As I am no one to suggest about or meddle with your issues, I am leaving." He declared and turned around.
"Your departure time starts from 5 in the evening mister." Mishti reminded.
"As if you care." Abir scoffed and left the room, without turning back.

And that's the act he regretted doing, almost immediately.

Present, 2024.

"Ji? You okay?" Harry asks her as Jiya finds it difficult to answer, blink or even breathe. She was supposed to meet her classmates and have a great party at the college. And also, ask her professor a 3 days off to visit her hometown as well as her father. But what she never expected was a call from her paternal aunt. Maggie had informed of the dreadful events that had taken place, just few hours before.

Her father had collapsed. Jiya knew his condition when she left the town to run after her dreams. She was aware that her father, James Weasly, was not going to survive for more than few months. He had a terminal illness that was killing him from the inside. Part of her wished to rewrite her entire life and go back to the moment when she moved out of her home when she was just 15. It had been six years since she saw her father. She felt terrible, guilty and afraid.

"Ji, love, you're scaring me. Please, talk to me. We'll figure it out together. Hell you can call me Styles for the rest of our lives." Harry's pleads finally catches her attention. Her eyes filled with silent tears, met his concerned ones. And then she feels it. That unconditional and passionate feeling. Which was so liberating yet binding her to face the reality. She is in love. And the last time she had loved a man, she had to leave him. and now, he is going to die.

"Dad." She croaks out. Harry pulls her into his embrace, thinking that he was protecting her from all the pain. But deep down, even he knows that there's no way he could deny that they, had unknowingly, advanced their relationship.
"We'll leave soon. I'll put all our luggage and other necessaries together. Love, I need you to hold yourself up. Please." Jiya nods against his chest and sighs closing her eyes. She didn't wanted to face the consequences. Especially now. But she decides as she didn't have a choice.

And so they leave to her hometown, Hawkshead. As soon as they see her house appear, Harry clasps her hand in a tight yet assuring grip. He knows how difficult it was for her to cope with her mother's loss, just a year ago. He was the one who helped her. But, he certainly didn't understand the feeling as his parents were happy and healthy. He had lost few people close to him, but loosing the one who birthed you, that was another pain.

"Ji, I need you to be strong now. Iron strong. Bring out the psychopathic reporter side of yours. I can't prepare for whatever you're going to see, and that is why I want you to be sure. Are you okay with this?" He ponders.
"Calm down, Styles. I'm perfectly not okay but I need this. I need a closure. I've been deprived of my mother's but no one can snatch his last moments from me. I'll be wanting some time to settle but, I know you'll be there. Thank you." She tiptoes and presses a chaste kiss to his cheek and gives a half hearted smile.

Harry instantly wraps his arms around her, giving a huge source of warmth and comfort. She steps back from it soon and enters the home. It hadn't changed much. Just few pots of plants and the lawn in the front yard had been uncared for, and the swing in which she used to play, was left abandoned, corroded. Jiya glanced around the house, to recollect almost all the instances she had stored about this place. But it could not supress the dread.

"Oh darling. You're here." Maggie hugs her niece, and tries to ease the situation by offering for tea and asking about her journey.
"Where's he?" Jiya questions immediately and winces realising her tone.
"In your room. He insisted on being shifted there." She mulls as Maggie's husband and kids arrive.
"Who's that outside in the parking area Mag? Is he expe- Oh! Jiya!" Trevor, comes forward and side hugs Jiya. She smiles and nods in acknowledgement towards her cousins, Brendan and David.

"It's my friend. He wanted to stay there until I went bac-"
"Are you not staying?" Maggie interrupts her.
"No. I just wanted to speak with him and be done with it." She again feels bad for using that tone.
"You father, daughter! He is dying Jiya! Atleast now you can keep aside your differences." Her aunt mellows.
"It's not just differences anymore aunt Maggie. I've grown distant. I don't remember the last time I spoke with him, like we were a parent and child. I didn't leave Hawkshead. He made me." Jiya finishes the sentence and bolts towards her room.

She regrets it. Because the sight infront of her, rips her heart into shreds and pieces. Her father is lying on her bed, looking at the ceiling, holding a photo frame, of her beloved, and dead mother.

Preethi Malhotra certainly had that effect on him even after years.

"Dad." She whispers, not to startle him.
"Jiya. My girl." James smiles weakly and motions for his daughter to come forward.
"I'm sorry." Jiya breaks down, looking at him, struggling to breathe properly.
"No silly. I am sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you away. Just like I left your mother." His words make Jiya look up at him.
"Do you know? She was such a stupid, goofy girl, but a kind human. And when she got pregnant, she was so excited to have you. She was just 17. But she saw her world in you." He smiles looking at the picture.

"Dad, I think you should rest. We'll speak lat-"
"Your mother, Preethi, was the best thing that has happened to me. She was my light. And even today, I regret not letting you know what she wanted to say to you. When she realised she had cancer, two years before her death." James takes out the letter from the drawer and hands it to his daughter.
"You are obliged to feel anger, disappointment and resentment towards me. But know that I love you, just like I love your mom. Your aunt is the reason you're doing what you want, and living this life you've built." He speaks.
"Aunt Maggie really helped me?" Jiya says, wiping her eyes, holding the letter.

"Your other aunt my dear. Her name's Mishti Maheshwari."

To be continued