Epilogue

July 24

2024

Pembroke Castle, UK.

The big castle was filled with people. Reporters, journalists, friends and family. Amisha stands quietly at a corner, near his room, where the new visitor was resting. She didn't know why such a commotion was happening at the place she called home. But her father and mother had informed that this was an important event for her uncle. So she had to behave. And the person inside the room was in another hell altogether.

"Everything's set." Kunal's words makes her stir awake.
"Has everyone arrived?" She meekly asks.
"Yes. We're awaiting your presence." He replies.
"Alright. I'll be there." At her reply, Kunal waits for another minute before leaving. Kuhu was waiting for him outside the room.
"Any progress?" She questions.
"No. We were prepared, not her. We'll just have to let her take as much time she wants." Kuhu nods and holds her husband's hand, supporting him.

"Are we talking about it to Amisha?" Kunal asks all of a sudden.
"I don't think she's ready for it yet. There will be so many confusions ofcourse. And one day, she might get it." Kuhu's answer makes him tear up again.
"Hey! Have you seen Jiya?" Harry asks, heaving heavy sighs, indicating that he's been running around to search his partner.
"She must be in the backyard-"
"Nope. I scurried the whole place, no sign of her." His answer makes Kunal alarmed.
"I'll search near the North wing, go help others arrange for the event." He says and the other two nod.

As he was running around, he finally found Jiya, entering his room. Shit! She was still in there. He takes a step ahead but decides to leave them alone. They had to meet someday afterall. Looking at the closed door, he returns back to the backyard's garden.

To his brother's commemoration and his last book's publishing.

-----------------------------

Mishti sits facing the window, as Jiya enters the room timidly. She locks the door and takes a deep breath, smoothening her black skirt.
"Mishti?" She calls.
"Yes, Jiya." At her reply, she stands silently for a moment. Never had she imagined that a day like this would occur in her life. She was meeting her godmother, for the first time. And the circumstances were too ugly to rejoice.
"Wow. You do know me." Her comment makes Mishti turn her chair around.

"And wow. You look too much like your mother." She says, astounded.
"Genetics." Jiya shrugs, sitting on the nearby chair.
"I know, have got of explaining to do but I've got to say it. You're a lot different than what I expected." Mishti smiles.
"I imagined a rather soft and British girl. Here you are, rugged and Indian." Jiya chuckles loudly.
"I know. My dad's genes didn't even try." She reminisces.
"I'm sorry about him." Mishti says.

"Can I ask you something?" At her question, she raises an eyebrow.
"You're such an amazing and wonderful woman. Why couldn't you be a better lover?" Mishti's breath gets stuck.
"I guess everybody have their flaws. In the end of the day, it all comes down to how much courage you actually have to live with them. I don't possess any. I'm a simple crippled coward." She honestly replies.
"And my mother was one too." Jiya responds.
"A big time." They both giggle.

"Think you can handle that?" Jiya enquires, looking outside the window.
"I know I have to. It's for him. I haven't cared about me for a long time, so not an issue." Mishti answers.
"If it's any help, I'm a mess too. We'll get through this. He wants that for us." She reassures the older woman.
"Thank you. I'm sure that bastard wants to torture us. Let's give that for him." Jiya nods and gets up to leave.

"Hey Mishti, just so you know, he didn't want your entire personality be based on your disability. So in his eyes, you're still that arrogant asshole he once met and fell in love with. Try to keep her alive. It's difficult. But do it until you meet him." She says.

Mishti nods and smiles, with glassy eyes.

----------------------------------

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and a kid, and a dog, and others." The croud chuckles lightly.
"Good. That's how we're supposed to be for the rest of the time. No one's allowed to keep a mourning face. I have hired secret agents who're spying on you at the moment. Whoever is sad, will not get their share of cake and wine. So you'll be sober and hungry the entire time. Eww! Imagine that!" People nod in acknowledgement.

"So today is like a legendary day in the publishing industry. Abir Rajvansh, the renowned author's last book is being released today. I'll be doing the honors ofcourse, who else did you think he'd give the responsibility to? You Kunal? Oh get over yourself you pig!" Kunal giggles along with others.

"As you all know, Abir died a week ago. He was diagnosed with Hepatic cancer. Ironically, the liver's where all of his ideas were generated from, so glad that he had finished his draft way before." Again there's a fit of laughter.
"Abir, was the most annoying creature to exist on this planet. He mentioned in his letter that he'd lived a contented life. He loved his brother and sister-in-law. He adored his niece. He enjoyed his work. And he admired Jiya. He was full of life and that is why I guess, cancer got jealous and attacked him." She says.

"He would have loved to make an entrance, boast about himself and then act flattered. Little did he know, that's exactly what we'd do for him. He's a celebration. He's life. And he's what I call, a toddler who stopped aging since he turned six." Mishti laughs, wiping her eyes.
"He had a vision. To change the world for better. To fill it with kindness and love. So behold, audience, Dr.Abir Rajvansh's last literary piece. The Path To Paris - Where Love Happens." The crowd roars and cheers for him. Jiya, Harry, Kunal and Kuhu clap, smiling. Akshara stands far away, feeling proud.

"Abir, wherever you're watching from, I know you're in hell, I hope you're happy. I hope you're proud of yourself because we definitely are. I regret that I couldn't meet you before your last breath. I'm sorry I was too late. And I hope we do meet in another life, as Abir and Mishti again. To experience the magic you called, love." Mishti ends her speech.

After the book release and reading, Mishti finds herself infront of the lake, where their friendship had bloomed. She gazes at the pristine water, flowing calmly. It was after sunset, so the sky was clear with stars, spread across vastly. She remembers a particular conversation they had, years ago.

"Where would you be if not for here?" Abir had asked her, curious to know her answer.
"I've always loved Auroras, the green lights, since childhood. Probably Alaska, where the sky's clear and I can watch them whenever I want." Mishti had let him know.
"And you?" She asked.
"I would be with you in Alaska." His answer had made her smile so hard, her cheeks had ached.

Mishti smiles, closing her eyes, taking a deep breath. The castle was Kunal and Kuhu's. His publishing company belonged to Jiya. But his heart and soul, she was the sole owner.

Mishti hadn't wanted to live. But Abir did.

In the end, he died and she did live, the rest of her life, for him.

They proved that where there is love, there is life.

Aashiqui.

THE END