Chapter 1: My History Teacher Becomes A Bully

793 words

I don't have long to write this, so listen closely. Being a half-blood isn't easy. Believe me, I know. So if you sense anything wrong, my advice is to shut this book immediately. You never know what's out there waiting.

I hate school. Like, it is the absolute worst thing in the world. Worse than dating or eating black beans. My dad said that school was "necessary for my survival." But how? I don't even get decent grades, thanks to my dyslexia and ADHD. The best grade I ever got was a D. So, yeah, I suck at school. Not to mention that my twin brother, Aidan, and I have been kicked out of every school we ever went to. It wasn't even our fault. I didn't mean to set a bus on fire or send another student to the hospital for two months.

The only one who understands me is Aidan. He is my other half, my twin. We're identical from our silvery-yellow eyes right down to our auburn hair. My dad says we get it from our mother. She's never really been around. Left right after we were born, Dad says. According to him, she had to leave. Had more important things to do. But what on earth could be more important than family?

I was jolted out of my thoughts by our history teacher, Mr. Smith, saying something about "the wonderful world of Shakespeare." I glanced over at my and Aidan's best friend, Grover. He was a really nice guy, but he already had been in 6th grade at least 5 times already at least The poor kid already had a beard. If that wasn't already enough, he had a leg disease, so he couldn't run. He was still really fast though on his crutches.

"Class," said Mr. Smith. "We will be starting a new unit today on Greek mythology. Can anyone tell me about the Greek goddess Artemis?"

Finally, I thought. Something we know and actually find interesting.

I know, sis, said a voice in my head. Should we do our "thing?"

Absolutely, I said back into my thoughts. Let's burn this place to the ground.

Aidan and I were always able to communicate like that with our thoughts. Never knew why. Dad says it's because we're special. But what's so special about two dyslexic kids who get bullied all the time?

"Artemis was the Greek goddess of hunting, archery, animals, nature, harbors, crossroads, water, childbirth, virgins, virginhood, maidens, maidenhood, chastity, the Moon, song, and dance. She was also the protector of the young, both animal and children, specifically young girls." I said, confidently.

"Nerd," I heard one other kid mutter. "No wonder she has no friends."

Ugh! Katie. The worst girl in the 6th grade. Sure we go to a school for "bad kids," but her parents are rich. Like rich-come-to-school-in-a-limo-wearing-the-latest-styles-rich.

"Artemis only fell in love once with a giant named Orion. Some stories say that he was the son of Poseidon. Others say that he was a son of the primordial gods Tartarus and Gaea, which meant that he would have been the bane of one or two gods. In this case, he was the bane of Artemis and Apollo. Artemis was either tricked into killing him or Apollo drove him insane or he was killed by Gaea because he bragged that he was going to kill all the wild animals in the world (After possibly being driven insane by Apollo). Either way, he became the constellation we now know as Orion," Aidan said.

"Correct, little demigods," Mr. Smith said, except he didn't sound human. His voice was deep and almost sounded like the bellow of a bull.

"Wh-what did you call us?" Aidan asked. It was the first time he sounded truly afraid.

I watched in horror as Mr. Smith's shirt and pants ripped, then brown fur began to sprout up and down his legs and torso. His teeth elongated into fangs, and then he grew horns right out of the side of his head!

"Is that the Minotaur?!" I screamed. Grover leaped up and tossed his crutches aside and threw off his pants, shoes, and hat.

"Grover what...?!" Aidan cried.

Grover's legs were furry and he then tossed off his feet. He had hooves instead of feet. And if that wasn't weird enough, he had small horns growing out of the side of his head. Realization hit me faster than a cheetah.

"Grover, you're a satyr!"

"Yeah, I know!" Grover cried, grabbing my and Aidan's hand. "Now run!"

And together we ran out of the classroom with one of the most dangerous creatures of Greek mythology on our tail.