Chapter 4: Apparently, I'm Related To A Horse

1407 words

I woke up to a warm something on my face. I opened my eyes, and Agro was licking my face feverishly.

Thank the gods! She barked. You've been out for 2 days! I thought you were dead!

"Agro!" I said joyfully. "You're okay!"

Of course, I'm okay! Agro barked. A little bit of scorpion venom can't kill me!

She jumped off my lap and settled down on the floor. I glanced around. I was sitting in a chair with a blanket across my lap, a pillow behind my head, and a taste of cooked deer meat into mouth. Something smelled something good. I sniffed. The breeze smelled of the sea, strawberries, sweat, and nature. I suddenly realized the people that weren't there.

"Do you know where Aidan and Dad are, Agro?" I asked.

Dad came walking up to me.

"Right here, kiddo," He said.

He was wearing jean shorts, black combat boots, and an orange t-shirt that said Acmp Flah Loobd. He pulled me into an embrace, then looked me up and down.

"Dad," I said. "What does your shirt say?"

"Camp Half-Blood," He replied. "Looks like the ambrosia is working."

"Do you know where Aidan is?" I asked Dad.

"Right here, sis," Aidan said, coming out of a door behind me.

He hugged me, and said, looking over my shoulder: "Holy Hera! What is that?!"

I turned and saw a man and a horse. Except it wasn't

"Are you a centaur?!" I demanded.

"Indeed I am, child," said the centaur. "But the better question is: who are you?"

"Child?!" I growled angrily.

Aidan looked equally as outraged, and I stared coldly at Chiron, failing to notice that the grass was growing. Growing taller and thicker than a vine, they wrapped around Chiron. He tried to fight, kicking at them with his hooves, but the grass tightened around him, bringing him to his knees.

"Kids, don't try to kill your uncle please," Dad said. "He's a nice guy and a good mentor."

"Uncle?!" Aidan said, shocked. "How can we be even remotely related to a centaur?! That's just messed up!"

"Kid, Zeus married his sister, and the centaurs were born from a cloud," Dad said. "All of Greek mythology is gross and weird."

Our shock broke the anger, and the grass dropped off Chiron, retreating into the ground.

"Think," Dad said. "Which famous centaur is related to the Greek gods?"

"Chiron," I said. "Half-brother to Zeus, Demeter, Hades, Hera, Poseidon, and Hestia."

"That's correct," said Chiron, back onto his feet again. "I am indeed the immortal trainer of heroes. I trained your father, and many others before him."

For the first time, I looked at Chiron. His horse body was that of a white stallion, while his upper half was that of a middle-aged guy. His hair and eyes were the color of coffee beans as was his scruffy beard. When I locked eyes with him, I heard his thoughts in my head.

So these are the twins. Destined to destroy or save the gods and said to be more powerful than two demigods of the big three put together. Hmmm. I wonder why Zeus let them live

"What?!" I cried out. "Zeus was going to kill us? We're going to destroy the gods?!"

Chiron froze.