Chapter 14: Blondie Boy Murders A Teddy Bear

1563 words

I nearly fell over.

"Grandpa?!" I said, still shocked. "What the Hades are you doing here?! W-why do you look so...so"

"So not old?" Grandpa asked, his eyes twinkling.

"Yeah," I said. "Like what happened to all your wrinkles and stuff?"

Grandpa burst out laughing.

"You definitely are your mother's daughter!" He choked.

"You mean Artemis?" I asked.

Grandpa suddenly looked serious. "Don't say her name here."

"Why?" I asked, surprised.

"I'll explain in the camp," He replied, motioning for me to follow him.

"What's on your forearm?" I asked, spotting what looked like a tattoo on his right inner forearm.

Grandpa held up his arm so I could see it. On his arm was a tattoo with an eagle on it above the letters SPQR. Below the letters were 20 little lines. 

Before I could ask more about it, a giant eagle came soaring down from the sky and landed next to me. Dad transformed into his usual self and looked at me furiously.

"What were thinking?!" Dad thundered. "You could have been killed!"

"Relax, Orion," Grandpa said. "She's fine."

"Oh," Dad said, turning to look at Grandpa. "Hey, Dad."

It was quite weird to see a 35-year-old call a 17-year-old "Dad."

"Ah!" Grandpa said, catching sight of Zoë. "Zoë Nightshade! It's been a while! How are you?"

He held out his hand, and Zoë shook it, rather reluctantly it seemed.

"Hello, Zachery," Zoë said coolly.

"Is someone going to explain what the Hades is going on?" Aidan asked, limping over.

Aidan saw Grandpa, fell over, and let out a moan of pain as he landed on his injured leg.

"Ooh," Grandpa said, kneeling down beside Aidan. "That looked like it hurt, kiddo."

"No, I feel wonderful," Aidan said sarcastically. "Can you just please get these dam spikes out of my leg and heal me?!"

Grandpa chuckled. "Alright, alright."

He pulled the spikes out of Aidan's leg, with much howling from Aidan, then healed him up.

"Can you stand?" Grandpa asked, standing up.

"Yes," Aidan said, getting gingerly to his feet and putting weight on his leg. "Thanks, Grandpa. That's a lot better."

"Praetor, who are these people?"

It was one of the guards of the tunnel. She had come over, carrying the pieces of her broken spear and was talking to Grandpa.

Grandpa stiffened.

"These are my grandchildren, Legionnaire," He said, very formally, gesturing to me and Aidan.

"That is my son and his friend," Grandpa said, pointing to Dad and Zoë.

"What of the wolves?" The guard asked, pointing toward Agro and Pher, who stood guard next me and Aidan. "Are they messengers of Lupa?"

Agro growled, hackles raised and fangs bared.

We are no messengers of Lupa! Pher growled. We have served Artemis for thousands of years! We want nothing to do with these Romans and their gods!

"Romans?" I said, confused. "What do you mean, Pher?"