Chapter 5: We Meet The Leopard Lord

646 words

"Who are you?" Aidan asked.

The guy who spoke was wearing a shirt with a leopard pattern on it, Nike shoes the color of lavender flowers, and black khaki shorts. He had a nose redder than a cherry, curly hair the color of the night, a chubby face, and blue, watery bloodshot eyeballs.

"That's Mr. D," Grover said, running up to us. "I'm sorry I couldn't get you to camp safely. I've a gotta be the worst Protector ever."

He bleated mournfully.

"Hey, Grover," I said hugging him. "It's okay. We're still alive right?"

"W-well, I guess so," Grover bleated.

"But that doesn't make up for your less-than-average performance," The cherub dude said.

"Hey!" Aidan yelled angrily. "Grover did a a great job!"

"Anyways," I said with a tone of a threat. "You remind me of Dionysus, the God of Wine. His sacred animal is a leopard and well..."

I gestured to his leopard-print shirt. Mr. D  waved his hand and a golden goblet filled with wine appeared out of thin air. I stared, astonished. Chiron trotted up behind us.

"Mr. D," He warned. "Your restrictions."

Mr. D sighed and waved his hand again. His goblet was replaced with a can of Diet Coca-Cola.

"You are Dionysus!" Aidan cried pointing at him.

"That's right, son," Dad said, walking towards us from behind Mr. D.

"Well, if it isn't Owen Thomas," Mr. D said, bored.

"Sir, it's Orion Theron," Dad said.

"I know what I said, Omar Tobias," Mr. D replied.

"Nice to see you to, Dionysus," Dad said, amused.

"You've met before?" I asked.

"Yes," Dad said. "We ran into him while hunting."

Aidan frowned. "We?"

"Your mother and I," Dad said. "She was an excellent huntress. Best I've ever met.

"Ah," Mr. D said. "It's them."

"Anyways," Dad said. "Let's go to the Amphitheater."

"I think I'll go take a nap before dinner," Mr. D said. "And then we can talk about your performance, Grover."

Grover gulped. "Yes, sir."

"C'mon," Dad said. "Follow me."

Dad walked over to the canoe lake. Yes, he walked. And no, he's not the giant Orion.
He led us to a giant amphitheater with rows and rows of tiered seats. The center was occupied by a small fire.

"That's where the campfire is held," Dad said.

I glanced back at the small fire. An eight-year-old girl was sitting there who had not been there before. She had mousy hair the color of coffee beans and gentle eyes the color of the fire. The girl wore a scarf the color of coffee beans with a pioneer dress.

"Hello," The girl said, smiling.

"Are you Hestia?" Aidan asked. "Like the Maiden Goddess of the Hearth?"

"Yes," The girl said. "I am Hestia."

"Cool," I said. "We like fire, too, y'know."

"Yes, Ainsley and Aidan Theron," Hestia said. "You do like fire."

"How do you know our names?" I asked.

"I'm a goddess," Hestia said. "I know things."

"Lady Hestia," Dad said, bowing to her. "It's nice to see you again."

"Orion Theron," Hestia said, smiling.

"Your dad was one of the only people who ever notice me," Hestia said. "Everyone else is too busy to notice or always rushing around."

"I'm sorry," Aidan said. "You're a really cool goddess, though. Maiden goddess. Who needs to get married? We certainly don't want to."

"Really?" Hestia said. "That's not normally something..."

She looked at us as if for the first time.

"Ah," Hestia said. "The twins."

"Anyways," Dad said quickly. "We should go. The Amphitheater is used for the campfire in the evenings and for announcements btw. Goodbye, Lady Hestia."

"Goodbye," The goddess said. "I wish you well."

Dad smiled and motioned for us to follow him out of the Amphitheater.

As we left, I could've sworn I heard Hestia said: "So it has begun."