Chapter 11: I Jump Off A Roof

1304 words

I did not have pleasant dreams when I was unconscious. Dad and Zoë lying almost dead on the ground wove in and out of my dreams. The worst part by far was when I found myself on a charred and scarred battlefield looking at Aidan on one side and a woman I didn't recognize on the other side. They were separated by a line of flames that crackled and burned hotter than me.

A cold voice that chilled my bones said, "Choose."

I yelled that I didn't want to choose, but the cold voice just laughed, and I fell through darkness and woke with a start.

"You good?"

Dad was leaning across the aisle of a train toward me, looking concerned. He was back in his 35-year-old form today.

"I'm fine," I mumbled.

Dad raised his eyebrows. "You were thrashing around in your sleep and screaming bloody murder. You almost stabbed me with your daggers."

"Okay, fine," I said.

I described my dreams to him.

He frowned. "What did the woman look like?"

I described her. "Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know," Dad said.

I could tell he was lying. I could hear his thoughts. I still didn't know why I could.

This isn't good. If she's dreaming of her, then things are getting worse.

"Don't touch my manly feet!"

I jumped and looked around. Aidan was sitting up 2 seats down from me and sleep-talking. I stifled a giggle.

Aidan continued to sleep-talk. "I'm sorry, Mr. President! I didn't mean to blow up the capital. I did mean to throw your baby off a building!"

Zoë was sitting next to Dad and staring as Aidan as though he was a nutcase, which he is.

"What do you mean I'm going to be arrested?!" Aidan slept-talked. "Since when is it illegal to throw a baby off a building?"

"Yo!" I yelled. "Wake up, baby brother!"

He woke up and yelled, "Put 'em, officer! Fight me, boy!"

He looked around, realized he was awake, and blushed redder than Mr. D's nose.

"You're 6 minutes older than me!" Aidan shouted.

A man wearing a suit and reading a book with a wizard riding a broomstick on the front sitting a few seats down from Zoë glared at Aidan.

Dad said quietly, "Aidan, quiet down. You're making a scene."

Aidan rounded on Dad. "Who asked you?"

I was shocked. Aidan was never rude to Dad. Ever.

"Aidan," Dad said gently. "Are you okay?"

"It's none of your business!" Aidan snapped.

Raiden was sitting next to Dad, dozing. She looked up when Aidan said this.

Aidan! Pher barked. Stop! He's only trying to help!

All the wolves were sitting at the feet of their human, and they all looked up at Aidan's outburst.

Aidan suddenly jumped up, and his face turned red. He seemed to come out of a trance.

"Did I really say all that?" He mumbled, looking ashamed.

"Yes," I said.

"I'm sorry," Aidan mumbled, looking at the floor