Chapter 19: I Make A Rash Oath

1887 words

Please do comment and tell me what you think! :D

Aidan smiled at me.

It wasn't his usual smile; there was no trace of warmth in it. It was just cold.

"About time," He said. "You finally caught up."

"But why?" I said, still not believing he was the traitor. "Why would you start working for Kronos? He's evil!"

"Why?" Aidan said, and then he laughed.

It was a horrible laugh; cruel and cold.

"Why?" He repeated, his voice rising. "Because our mother abandoned us, that's why! Artemis left us when we were born; left us to be raised by Dad, alone! She abandoned her children; her family!"

"So what if she left us?" I said. "That doesn't mean you need to side with Kronos! You have other family; me, Dad, Pher, and Agro!"

Something in Aidan's face shifted. It looked for a moment as though he were back to his old self, but then that moment ended.

"That doesn't matter," Aidan said quietly.

Those last words ripped my heart in two; they altered the course of my life forever.

"That doesn't matter?" I repeated in a hoarse voice. "That doesn't matter? Your family doesn't matter?! I don't matter to you?!"

Anger was starting to swell in my broken heart.

Aidan didn't answer.

"Get out of my way!" I shouted.

"No," Aidan said.

"Then, I'll make you," I yelled, and I pushed Aidan down with the butt of daggers.

Aidan fell onto his butt. I stormed over to the hind, raised my daggers, and slashed through the first manacle. But before I could slash the next chain, Aidan came sprinting over.

He swung his daggers back. I didn't raise mine in time and...

SLASH!

One of Aidan's daggers came swishing down and cut over my right eye.

"AUGGHH!" I screamed.

Blood poured from the gash on my eye. staining my clothes red. I fell to the ground, dropped my daggers, and pressed my hands over my eye.

Ainsley! Agro barked, running over to me.

I looked up at Aidan, struggling to see through the blood. He was staring at me in horror.

"What have I done?" Aidan whispered, dropping his daggers.

He dropped to his knees next to me and whispered, "Sis, I'm so sorry. I-"

I never let him finish his sentence. A reckless, murderous fury had come over me, and I swung my fist back and punched him as hard as I could in the face.

I heard a sharp CRACK! as my fist connected with his nose; I had broken it. Blood began pouring down Aidan's face, and his hands flew to his face.

"What the Hades?!" Aidan shouted, and then he grabbed his daggers just in time as I swung hard at him.

"Traitor!" I yelled, swinging hard. "Backstabber!"

Ainsley! Aidan! Please, stop! Agro barked.

Just then, Pher tackled Agro to the ground and began trying to rip off her head. Agro had no choice but to turn her attention to trying to prevent Pher from decapitating her. They rolled around, claws ripping at each other and jaws snapping.

Twins of the Hunt - Book 1: The Golden Hind ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara