I. January, Ch. 15

Shelley was feeling like a falling leaf. Nothing, not her father's obvious suspicions or the morning traffic, could stop her from having the best morning of her life. She closed her eyes and thought of Doug as Stevie Wonder's voice entered her ears.

     Mr. Stone turned down the car radio. "Shelley?"

     She kept her eyes closed. "Hm."

     "Honey, I need to ask you something."

     She opened her eyes and looked at his worried face. "What is it?"

     He gripped the steering wheel and took a deep breath. "Are you seeing someone at school?"

     Yes! She bit her lip, keeping quiet.

     Mr. Stone sighed. "Who is he?"

     Shelley snapped completely out of her morning daze. Her bliss became dread. "Daddy, stop."

     "Please, Shelley. I just need a name."

     "He's just a friend, I swear."

     His voice was that of a dictator. "Shelley Brooke Stone."

     Can I say his name without smiling? "Douglas."

     She failed.

     Mr. Stone pressed his lips together. He looked into the traffic. "Douglas."

     "Yes, Daddy. He's really something, but we're just friends."

     He didn't turn the music back up, and neither did Shelley. The rest of the car ride was silent.

     The station wagon stopped in front of the school. Shelley held her books to her chest.

     She turned to her father with an apologetic look. "Have a good day at work, daddy."

     He looked at her, a different man than the one who entered the car. "Please be careful, sweetheart."

     Shelley leaned across the seat to kiss her father on the cheek. "I will."

     She stepped out of the car and walked to the courtyard, which was littered with students and teachers.

     The thought of her father being worried made her breakfast unsettle itself from her stomach. She walked twenty yards, looked over her shoulder, and the station wagon was still there.

     She thought about blowing him a kiss, giving him a sign that he was still her first love. Oh, he knows.

     Once she turned around, her outlook changed. She walked with confidence she didn't have three weeks ago. What is this feeling? Why do those love songs make sense now? Why is waking up in the morning so exciting?

     She giggled to herself. She wanted to take Julian High School by storm. She needed to be successful to impress Douglas' family.

     She'd run for class president, start a glee club, get a new haircut, and make it back just in time for her lunch date with him. Her stomach churned with anticipation.

     Shelley arrived at the water fountain at seven forty-five. Douglas would be near in five minutes.

     She could feel serotonin oozing out of her pours. Say it to yourself, just this once. You can say it out loud later.

     She took a deep breath.

     I'm in love.

     Shelley covered her grin with her hand and looked away from the students to give herself a moment to squeal.

     She always knew she was moving up, but she was no longer moving up alone. Besides her would be her prince, her Doug, basking in all the perks of her success with her.

     Seven-fifty arrived. No sight of Douglas.

     At seven fifty-seven, she caught sight of Douglas' blonde hair coming down the hall.

     Her heart burst with joy and giddiness.

     Douglas made his way toward the fountain. He held his books in one hand and slid his other hand in his pocket. His walk lacked its usual confidence.

     Shelley rushed to his side. "Good morning."

     Douglas kept his eyes straight ahead. "Oh, hey."

     She wanted nothing more than to have his arm around her. "Did you miss me?"

     Douglas said nothing.

     Her fragile heart cracked. "I just thought I'd walk you to your homeroom."

     "Okay."

     She walked alongside him in silence. All the noise the students around them were making faded into the back. Her heart felt heavy, her chest tightened with raw emotion. Get a hold of yourself, Shelley Stone.

     They arrived at room 204. John and Lou, sophomores Shelley knew from other classes, were waiting for Doug by the door.

     Douglas patted them each on the shoulder. His confidence was back. "Morning, fellas."

     Shelley smiled. There he is. "I should go to class. I'll see you around."

     "Yup," said Douglas.

     She waited for a minute, hoping he'd give her a goodbye side hug. The bell rang, and he entered the classroom, leaving her behind.

     Shelley felt like a deflated balloon.

     She walked to her class, tardy and without a hall pass.