IV. April, Ch. 47

Bruce and Shelley walked side by side to Calvin's classroom.

     "Again, what are you going to say?" said Bruce.

     Shelley sighed. She spoke in a bored, monotone voice. "'Mr. Leblanc, I'm truly sorry for what happened in rehearsals. There's no reason administration has to get involved. It would be more efficient if we move past it without informing outside parties.' How's that?"

     Bruce smiled like a proud older brother. "That's a girl. Just remember, if you need me, I'll be right outside."

     Shelley was nervous. It was only at Bruce's insistence that she decided to apologize to Calvin verbally. If she could have things her way, she'd do it via letter, but Bruce said it was unwise to leave a paper trail.

     They arrived at Calvin's classroom door, expecting to see a bundle of students outside, waiting to be let in.

     Instead, the hall was empty. There was a piece of paper taped to the outside of the door, directing freshman English students to another classroom.

     Bruce got close to the sign. "Looks like Mr. Leblanc's not in. You've earned yourself an extra day, Hepburn."

     Shelley was relieved, even if this only postponed the inevitable. She stood next to Bruce in front of the door. Through the door window, she saw Marlo speaking to Roger and Cookie.

     Bruce walked backwards. "Come on. I'll walk you to class."

     It might have been a hunch or perhaps her female intuition in bloom, but she sensed danger within. "Wait. Something's going on in there."

     "That's no business of ours. Now let's move. You're going to be late."

     Shelley observed Marlo pacing the classroom as Cookie bit her thumbnail and Roger rubbed his temples. Whatever they were discussing wasn't good.

     Curiosity got the best of her, and she crouched down and pressed her ear to the door.

     Bruce walked over, irritated. "Hepburn, let's go."

     "Ssh."

     He sighed. After checking both sides of the hall, Bruce joined her in the eavesdropping.

     Words were easy to make out through the hollow door. Shelley almost didn't need her ear pressed against it.

     Roger was loud. "You can't cancel the play. It will only cause panic where there isn't any."

     Marlo's voice was louder. "Isn't any? He kissed an underage student. Even if the student was old enough to consent, he's on very thin ice until the matter gets resolved."

     "So you suspended him?"

     "I was just following protocol."

     "I've known Cal since we were kids. The guy doesn't even jaywalk, let alone put his hands on teenage girls," said Roger.

     Shelley heard her name over and over. Her heart beat so fast, she pressed her hand against her chest in Pledge-of-Allegiance fashion to keep it from bursting out of her skin.