V. May, Ch. 51

Calvin could either attend an end-of-the-semester picnic arranged by the faculty, a picnic Marlo wasn't invited to, or pay him a visit at home. He chose the latter.

     He rang Marlo's door bell with a box of donuts on one hand and a vase of flowers on the other.

     This would be his first, and perhaps his last, glimpse into Marlo's personal life.

     Marlo opened the door dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. "Good morning."

     Calvin shifted his weight to one foot. "Good morning."

     "Come on in."

     Lisa came out of the living room and joined them. "You must be Calvin. I'm Lisa."

     Calvin stared at Lisa's eight-month-old pregnant belly. Marlo? A father? He looked at his brother for answers.

     He gave Calvin a single nod.

     "Why didn't you tell me?"

     Marlo slid his hands in his pockets and smiled. "Must have slipped my mind."

     Calvin reminded himself not to take it personally that Marlo didn't tell him the news, even if he would have loved to have known during one of their few conversations.

     He handed Marlo the donuts and flowers. With his hands now free, he shook her hand gently and kissed her cheek. "Calvin Leblanc. Pleasure to meet you, and congratulations."

     "Thank you," said Lisa. "The pleasure's all mine. Marlo mentions you almost every day when he comes home from work."

     Calvin stood up straighter. "Does he?"

     "Sure does."

     Lisa led the men to the backyard through the kitchen door. "The patio table is open for the two of you. I'll be right out with breakfast. How do you take your coffee?"

     "Black, please," said Calvin.

     He liked Lisa, partly because she was closer to his age than Marlo's. "You won't be joining us?"

     "I have a few chores to finish, so you men have the yard to yourselves."

     Being alone with Marlo in his own home scared him more than being alone with him in his office.

     Once outside, Marlo motioned him to sit as he did the same. "You look different."

     Calvin scratched the back of his ear. "I feel different. I'm sorry it took so long to return your calls."

     Marlo reclined in his chair. "I'm glad you're here. I needed to talk to you outside of school grounds."

     "About the Shelley Stone case?"

     "Yes. As it turns out, it was all a misunderstanding. The responsible parties have been reprimanded and there's no need for further investigation."

     Calvin mirrored Marlo and reclined on his chair. "Okay."

     Marlo cleared his throat. "You can return to Julian and continue your career as you planned."

     It was Calvin's cue to deliver his set of news. You can do it, Leblanc. "Yes, about that. One of the reasons I came over was to personally inform you that... well, that I'm leaving Julian."

     "And going back to Joan?"

     "No, I mean, I'm moving back to Los Angeles."

     Marlo adjusted his jaw. "Los Angeles."