II. February, Ch. 20

Roger fiddled with the pen in his hand for the fourth time in fifteen minutes. The classroom he paced seemed to be getting smaller.

     He missed Bruce, especially now that things between him and Calvin were awkward at best.

     So what if Calvin went out with Genevieve Saturday night, being a hypocrite about staying invisible at Julian? So what if they went back to her place afterwards to play Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson?

     Heaven knew his friend could use the female companionship. Calvin was celibate since junior year of college. He hadn't even gone that far with Cookie, according to both parties.

     Calvin denied having gone the distance with his new friend, but Roger wasn't buying it. No one comes home at nine in the morning with that kind of spark in their eyes, wanting to produce a Shakespeare comedy, unless they scored.

     What hurt was that he experienced his first drinking binge with her, rather than with him as Calvin once promised.

     He was so shocked, he didn't even fight him on the decision to produce Much Ado About Nothing.

     Roger wondered if he and Cookie were truly forgiven. What would he have to do to let Calvin know he was sorry? Did he have to turn in every play he wrote with Calvin's name on it until the day he died, never receiving all the credit he deserved for writing it alone? Did he have to serve this penance until Calvin needed forgiveness for something?

     He looked down at his lunch, but wasn't hungry. Today was his usual lunch meeting with Bruce, and after their last scuffle, he wasn't sure if he'd see him.

     Bruce never missed a meeting, especially one during lunch, where they had a whole hour to chat. He'd be sending a strong message if he missed a meeting now.

     Roger was about to resign himself to Bruce's contempt when he noticed him standing by the door.

     "So you're putting on Much Ado About Nothing?" said Bruce.

     Roger smiled. "News travel fast around here."

     Bruce took a seat in front of Roger's desk. "You'd be amazed what you can listen in on when you smoke cigarettes in the parking lot."

     Roger offered him his can of Coke.

     Bruce took it and pulled the tab to open it.

     Roger got up and closed the door. "Speaking of which, I've been meaning to talk to you about something. You're going to love me for this."

     Bruce took a swig of Coke. "Love you?"

     "Yes. I found a way to punish you for the eggs you threw at my car."

     Bruce pulled his face back. "Eggs? I didn't throw any eggs."

     "Yes, you did," said Roger "After school one afternoon when I parked my car outside the school. I gave you a nasty look in the hallway and you figured out which car was mine, gathered a few eggs and aimed them at my and Mr. Leblanc's Mustang."

     Bruce stood up in a gentle rage. "What are you talking about?"

     Roger paced the classroom as he continued explaining. "And after I caught you laughing behind the bushes, I found out it was you, and decided you needed to learn a lesson about private property. I haven't told Principal Cabrera, but I'm sure he'd agree that building sets for the school play is just the correctional treatment you need."

     Bruce looked confused for a moment, then he understood what Roger was getting at. He crossed his arms in front of his muscular chest and grinned, unimpressed. "Eggs at your car? That's the best you can come up with?"

     Roger shrugged. "Well, excuse me. I was never a troublemaker. I wouldn't know what it takes to join the bad boy club."

     "Hm. How about I flipped you the bird as I drove past you?"

     Roger offered Bruce his hand. "Deal."

     Bruce looked at it for a moment, then wrapped his arms around Roger.

     Roger patted him on the back and laughed.

     "And if you tell anyone I hugged you, you will see eggs on your Mustang."