III. March, Ch. 31

With the first rehearsal and cold read out of the way, Shelley entered the world of the theater aficionados.

     But today, she sat next to Debbie at lunch, eating her applesauce as she read through the script.

     "Isn't that stuff hard to read?" asked Debbie.

     "Mr. Leblanc said there's a rhythm to Shakespeare once you memorize the words."

     "And how did your dad react when you told him you got the part?"

     Shelley looked away. "He was happy, I think. We went out for milkshakes to celebrate."

     Debbie brought her eyebrows down in worry. "Does he know Doug's in the play, too?"

     Shelley sighed. "No. But it's best if he doesn't."

     "He's going to find out eventually when he watches the play."

     "I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now I have to focus on getting this character right. Mr. Leblanc is depending on me."

     Debbie gave her friend a mischievous grin.

     Shelley pressed her lips together. "What?"

     "You're so focused on making Mr. Leblanc happy. That's all."

     "Don't get any funny ideas. The Beatrice role means a lot to him. That's the only reason he's working so closely with me."

     "That doesn't make sense. Why would he care about someone who isn't real?"

     "He said Beatrice was the most important character. She's independent and smart and she doesn't need a man to get things done."

     "Ah, and Mr. Leblanc hand-picked you for this role?"

     Shelley rolled her eyes. "I'm sure Mr. Leblanc has a girlfriend."

     "Yes. Maybe."

     Shelley shook her head. She pushed her glasses up the rim of her nose and went back to the script.

     She was in the middle of a monologue when Elizabeth, one of Shelley's co-stars, walked up to their table. She wore her black hair short, flashed perfect teeth, and was three inches shorter than Shelley. "Hi, Beatrice."

     Shelley looked up. "Oh, hi, Liz."

     "I noticed you were going through your script, and well, we're having a little reading circle at the other table. Do you want to join us?"

     Shelley looked over at the table. "Where's Douglas?"

     "It's just us girls. Come on."

     Shelley looked at Debbie as if she was asking for permission.

     "Go on," said Debbie.

     "Are you sure? You'll be here all by yourself."

     "I'll be fine. Go study."

     Shelley felt a little guilty, but she powered through it, got her books and lunch tray, and followed Elizabeth to the lunch area.

     There, she found all the girls from the cast, who weren't many.

     She put her tray down and took a seat.

     They were going back and forth with their lines when a tall brunette filled a vacancy on the far end of the bench.

     Shelley looked at her and immediately knew who she was.

     It was the girl she found kissing Douglas on Valentine's Day. She couldn't forget all those beautiful features, only this time her eyes were red and wet.

     Elizabeth's green eyes enlarged. "Michelle, what is it?"

     She wiped her eyes. "It's Douglas."

     Elizabeth covered her mouth. "He didn't..."

     "He did. I saw him getting cozy with his lab partner."

     Shelley watched, feeling oddly empowered by the sight.

     A cynical side of her was happy to see that the girl she thought was better than her got the same treatment she got. They were equals.

     On the other hand, she was enraged with Doug. What was it about him, anyway? How could he get away with treating girls this way?

     "He's going to see me again and pretend like nothing happened. I don't know what to do."

     Shelley found courage inside herself she didn't know she possessed. "Ignore him."

     Michelle looked up. "Who are you?"

     "This is Shelley," said Elizabeth. "Remember when I said someone new was playing Beatrice?"

     Michelle wiped her left eye on her sleeve. "You're going to be kissing my boyfriend on stage?"

     Shelley's mouth opened a bit. She forgot that was part of the job.

     "Relax," said Elizabeth. "Shelley doesn't see Douglas that way. She keeps to herself when she doesn't have a scene with him. She's a professional."

     Shelley didn't have the heart to tell her that the only reason she acted that way was because she was repulsed by him.

     All eyes were on her. Even Michelle looked intrigued.

     Shelley knew what responsibility felt like. She knew what it was like to complete a science project on time or study enough to win a spelling bee. This, however, was a new kind of responsibility. It was a duty to her peers, and it meant more to her than first-place anything. 

     "The next time you see him, tell him it's over. You're independent and smart and you don't need Doug to get things done."

     Michelle twisted her nose. "How would you know? You don't know me."

     Shelley didn't pull her eyes from hers. "If Doug Cassels had eyes for you, you must be high above him."

     The words were for Michelle, but they both needed to hear it.

     Shelley smirked. An idea brewed in her head. By cutting Douglas' supply of vulnerable girls, she would attain her revenge.