III. March, Ch. 30

Shelley wasn't sure if she was relieved that callbacks were over or disappointed that she didn't have something to distract her from her pain anymore.

     "When will you hear back?" asked her father.

     She looked out the car window. "I don't know, but I'm scared to find out."

     He smiled. "I'm sure you did swell. And if they can't see that, it's their loss."

     Shelley turned to him, feeling guilty that he was celebrating her lie. "Thanks, daddy."

     "So, four-thirty in front of the library?"

     "Three-thirty. Auditions are over, remember?"

     He stopped the car in front of the school. "You're looking so much better, sweetheart. I'm glad this play is over."

     She opened the car door and got out. "It's just getting started. I just won't be part of it."

     He waved her goodbye as she walked across the parking lot and through the front gate.

     Shelley walked to her locker with small goals in mind to keep herself distracted.

     Grab your history book. Drink water by the fountain. Avoid Douglas.

     She searched each face for Debbie, but as she filtered through them, she realized too many of them were looking back at her.

     Shelley was used to being nearly invisible. All the attention left her feeling exposed and confused.

     A few of them waved, trying to get her attention.

     She smiled back, but kept moving.

     After what felt like miles, she found Debbie standing by her locker. "Good morning."

     "Hi, superstar," she said.

     Shelley groaned. "For the last time, it was just a callback."

     "Just a callback? That's not what I heard."

     Shelley manipulated her combination lock, then pulled it open. "And what did you hear?"

     "That you got the part."

     Shelley books became too heavy at the sound of her words. They nearly slipped through her arms and down to the floor, but she caught them in time. "Part? What part?"

     "In the school play, silly. Isn't it one of the supporting roles?"

     She studied Debbie's face, not wanting to believe that the one friend she was leaning on after her failed attempt at love would make up a lie like this to console her.

     But if she wasn't lying, surely, it was a big misunderstanding. The other girls who auditioned were far more qualified than she was. "No, that can't be."

     "See for yourself. I think the cast list is posted outside Mr. Leblanc's classroom."

     Debbie sighed. "You're lucky you get to work with him. He's so dreamy."

     Shelley was about to agree, but her head was reeling with the thought of her having to go up on stage and saying all those big words.

     This mistake needed to be corrected. She closed her locker and marched to Room 103, where she auditioned days ago.

     Students kept looking at her, not with happiness or hate, but with curiosity.

     Shelley made it to the cork board outside of Calvin's classroom, but found nothing, save for an announcement that a Friday deadline was moved to Monday.