II. February, Ch. 23

Calvin marched from the bathroom to the bedroom with a bag of toiletries.

     The faster I pack, the less time I have to change my mind.

     Roger watched from Calvin's bedroom door frame. "Hello, Benjamin."

     The nickname nearly made him regurgitate his Big Mac. "Don't start. It's not like that between us."

     "Is that why you're taking a Valentine's Day trip with her? Alone? To the City of Sin? For an entire weekend?"

     Calvin shoved his toiletries and a clean pair of socks into a backpack. "She was going to make the trip by herself. I couldn't let that happen."

     "What about Marlo? If he finds out about this, he'll fire us."

     Calvin continued to pack, same rhythm, same speed, as if the name didn't ring a bell.

     Somewhere in the silence, the message was clear: Let's not tell Marlo.

     Roger stepped in and searched Calvin's face. "Who are you?"

     He rolled his eyes.

     "I'm serious. The Cal that I know would have stayed in on a Friday night, grading papers and doing his job."

     Calvin's guilt glass overflowed, as did his tolerance jar. He knew he was going back on his word, but any reminder felt like the world's worst lie. "For crying out loud, Roger. Let it go, will you?"

     Roger looked at him, stunned.

     If Calvin hurt him, he didn't care. "When have I ever acted up? When have I called you drunk wanting a ride home? When have I gotten into trouble at all? Please, let me have this. Let this be my one reckless slip-up."

     The sound of his yelling was unfamiliar to him. The old Calvin slowly crept out of the quicksand. He blinked away the confusion, sat on the edge of his bed, and rubbed his face.

     Roger stood in front of him, looking down at him like he was going through puberty. "Are you in love with her?"

     Calvin shrugged with apathy. "Absolutely not."

     "Are you attracted to her?"

     He stared for a moment, then looked away.

     Roger sighed. "She wants something from you, Cal. I don't know what it is, but she wants something."

     For the first time since his reconciliation with Genevieve, the thought that she could be using him came up. It made him sick.

     "You need to find out what it is. It could be free love."

     Free love? With Genevieve? Surely, he wasn't that lucky. "You think so?"

     "Use this trip to find out."

     His face released a laughter twitch. "I think she sees me as a brother, not a lover."

     "Whatever you do, be responsible. You know what I mean?"

     Calvin put his hand up to stop the awkwardness. "Ugh, yes, I know."

     Roger cleared his throat. "Are you, um, taking something with you?"

     Calvin's face turned a bright scarlet. "Stu, stop it. Please."

     "I have some in my room if you don't have any."