XVI - Hungry Eyes

TW: Gore

➤ "You can't play this game without bets!"
"Okay, then bet."

   I was being watched by approximately ten to twenty hungry eyes

Why approximately?
Some of them had clearly been playing this game before, having lost more parts of their body than I thought possible.
But then again- This was hell.

"It's a simple game." Holux said, sitting up front with his brother. They both had fairly intimidating neon green eyes, which didn't seem much weird at first. Except for the fact that they weren't human eyes, but those of goats. And their noses were strangely made out of two distant holes.

"Did you lose them? Your eyes?" Rolux seemed taken aback, whilst Holux only gave me his most ugly smile. "Nah, always had them. Our mother was a bastard goat."
Oh, wow. "Now, don't interrupt again, or I'll try to break my favorite bones off your body." Once again I was glad for the bone barrier between us. When I looked over my shoulder, I saw the others watching as well.

"Now, yes, now, you see all of us. It's really easy, this game, you see, just tell me who we are." I didn't know who exactly spoke, it was someone at the far back- But I knew  that this had been the worst introduction to a game I'd ever witnessed.

"So you got it?" Another stranger pushed, obviously exited. Were they for real?
"No, absolutely not. Absolutely not.
How am I supposed to tell who you are, I've been here since- I don't know!" I spat at them, obviously furious. "And what does this even have to do with body parts?"

I was so sick of this. Of everything. The way I jumped off the bridge without actually intending to. The way I landed in this shit-hole called hell. The way I didn't know if I'd ever see Morpheus again. The way I hadn't even yet thought about how my parents must feel, how they received the news. I just wanted my mind to shut off.

And these stupid demons couldn't even explain a game to me, a game that should do nothing but distract or get me out of here.

I halted, looking back at the expectant crowd. A game that should get me out of here.

"How about you listen, ugly half-ling!"
Oh, yes, I would listen. I leaned forward, nodding. "Alright, explain to me once more, clearly, and we'll maybe decide on a bet." Rolux didn't much seem convinced, nor did the other half of scary eyes, but they wanted another player. And I was all they got.

He pushed slightly forward, his goat eyes making shivers run down my spine. "We are twelve demons. An even group. That's disgusting!" Rolux said, to which the others agreed.

"Now, we want the uneven. The unluck. Five belong to one group as judges, five to the other." Those ten judges were on the other side of the bone cell, knew each other well, whilst I was a complete stranger to them. But yet again, demons didn't trust one another. Nor was there any true rule in hell.