O

Misery Moore

"You're telling me you've never had ice cream? How is that possible?" Alana asked me, and I eyed her before shrugging.

"Have you had everything in the world?" I asked and she shook her head no. "Well I-" "exactly" I nodded, and she chuckled. "You got me there" she said, and I smiled as she looked defeated.

"Are you sure you don't want to at least try some? There's like a million flavors" Alana asked, looking into my eyes. "I'm sure" I nod. "You can still go get some though" I told her as I pointed to the ice cream truck at the park.

"Nah, I was taught not to eat in front of people" she waved me off, "so you don't ever eat in front of people?" "I didn't mean that like literally, I'll eat in front of random people but like not my friends and stuff, do you get what I mean?" she asked, and I don't but for some reason I said I did. "I only eat in front of my siblings" she said, and I smiled.

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked, "2, a younger sister and a baby brother" she replied. "Do you any siblings?" She asked , and I wanted to laugh.

Blair hates having 1 kid, imagine if she had multiple? She would probably explode.

"No, it's just me. I wish I did" I didn't, the thought is nice, but I wouldn't want another kid to go through what I do.

"Trust me you don't, siblings are cool until they're not" she rolled her eyes. I nodded, taking her word for it.

"I wonder why I never see you at school" she said, and I eyed her. "Probably because you're never there" I replied, and she smiled at me. "You got me there" she chuckled, "school ain't for me" she said, and I nodded. "Your parents don't care?" I asked, and she shook her no. "I have a couple open periods and I work so they don't question me. As they shouldn't" she flicked her twist out of her face.

I looked at her hair, then back at the table. "Sunshine" she sang my name and I shook my head. She wasn't even in key. "Yes" I answered and she smiled. "Why do you keep looking at my hair like that, Sunshine? You don't like it?" She pouted and leaned a little closer, but not too close.

"Um I-" I looked in the other direction as I suddenly had to cough. I must be allergic to her fragrance or something.

"Hmm? You don't like them?" She repeated and we made eye contact. "I- I do. I don't mean to stare, sorry" I apologized. She moved a little closer to me and shrugged. "I'm alright with it" her eyes moved to my lips then back to my eyes.

"You're always calling me pretty, but have you looked at yourself in the mirror? You're so beautiful" she told me, then shook her head.

I did look at myself in the mirror, but not for that reason.

"Not with all these bruises and scars" I mumbled. "Aye we all got them, some people have more than others, but trust you're not alone" she told me. But it didn't feel that way, feeling alone while being around people all the time. It gets tiring.

"Also, I think scars have nothing to do with beauty. It might be a little harder to identify, but the beauty will always be there" Alana went on, and I just listened to her. Her nose flares a couple of times as she talked, and she sounded completely confident in what she was saying.

I suddenly felt bad for hanging up on her, 4 times in one day. It was our new record.

"I would stare at you all day if I could" she suddenly said, taking me little back. 'What does she mean by that?' I asked myself. I couldn't let her know she had my heart raising and my stomach tingling. So I said "that's because you're a creep" I gave her a little smile. She moved her hand closer to mine "only for you Sunshine" she replied. "Is that supposed to be flattering?" "It's whatever you want it to be"

"You know you talk a lot" I told her, and she nodded. "I know, I like hearing myself talk" "I'm not surprised" "you really got a smart ass mouth" she chuckled as she shook her head. I shrugged, she knew what she signed up for.

She pulled out her phone and looked at the clock.

"I gotta go back to work but I'll call you later tonight and you better answer" "if I don't?" I challenged her. "Don't play with me Sunshine" she eyed me then got up from the table. I watched as she walked in the direction she came from. My watching got stopped by a notification from my phone.

It was a message from Jules telling me she was there. I shook my head and got up from the table.

"Why are you here?" I asked as I put on my seatbelt. I didn't know she was coming, and I didn't like that. "Because I wanted to see you and I knew you would be here" she told me, giving me an innocent smile. "Hmm, why don't I believe you??" "because you have trust issues" well damn, excuse the fuck out of me.

We made it to her house and I could tell her parents were still at work. We walked into her room and I stopped at the door when I saw why she wanted me to come to her house.

"I'm not helping you clean" I told her, and she pouted and gave me puppy dog eyes. "Please, I'll do anything. My legs are sore from practice and this has to be done before my mom gets home" she told me. I looked around the room, and it wasn't too much, just clothes everywhere, cups and half full water bottles, and some cheer stuff laying around.

"Alright, but only if you buy me cupcakes" I told her, and she smiled. "Thank you" she hugged and squeezed me.

We began to clean, and it was a comfortable silence until I had to ask something.

"Have you ever had a crush on someone?" I asked her, and she nodded. "You know I have" "true, did you tell him?" I asked her, not remembering if she did. "What? No. That's like the worst thing to do" "why?" I didn't see why telling the person you like that you like them is bad. I was definitely missing something.

"Because it just messes up everything, especially if they don't like you back. Y'all will never be the same, and it will hurt" Jules told me.

"But like, what if you think they have a crush on you back?" I asked her, and she looked at me. "Who do you have a crush on?" She asked and I shook my head. "Nobody" I replied, I didn't think it was really a crush. "Are you lying?" She asked, and I shook my head. "I'm serious, I was just curious, but I'll never ask you a question again" "you're so extra" Jules laughed, and I mocked her making her hit me with a pillow.

"Pillow fight" we said at the same time and I grabbed a pillow and started hitting her with it. I was getting her good until she tripped me and got on top of me and repeatedly hit me with the pillow.

"Jules Evans, what in the world are you doing, young lady?" Jules froze as we both heard her mom, and I held in my laugh. "P- pillow fight" she dropped the pillow and I could no longer hold in my laugh.
************************************************
I've been seeing y'all jump me in the comments 😪 I am back though, I wasn't supposed to be gone that long but tbh I just didn't wanna write for this book. Alright now, byeeee 🐻