Chapter 18: Back to her hometown

I'm just gonna say that from this chapter all the way until the end, the content will go back to being more comforting and peaceful, as it should be. Well, that's all I have to say, so without further ado, here is the next chapter! Enjoy!

The morning after, the gang sat down at the table for one last breakfast at Meyer's house. As usual, they made small talk throughout, and everyone had a peaceful time.

Once done with breakfast, Ash volunteered to clean everything up, much to everyone's surprise. Clemont took this opportunity to talk with Serena.

"So, what's the plan? What are you going to do after this?"

Serena turned towards him, and answered, "Well, I'll be following Ash back to Kanto."

This surprised Clemont, and he exclaimed, "But..., don't you have duties to fulfil?"

Serena smiled, and replied, "It's fine, I'll find a way. Everything will be okay Clemont, trust me." He seemed satisfied with Serena's answer, and nodded.

After everyone was done cleaning up, the gang packed their things and prepared to go to Serena's house, which would be quite a long walk. They said goodbye to Meyer and thanked him for his hospitality, and left the house.

The gang took a little detour to go to Professor Sycamore's lab one last time. There, they also met Alain and Mairin. Professor Sycamore congratulated Ash on his Kalos League victory, and wished him a brighter future ahead. Ash and Alain, as rivals, promised each other another battle in the future, to which both of them claimed they were not going to lose. They then shook hands with each other, and gave each other confident smiles.

Serena and Mairin also said their farewells. Mairin was on the verge of tears as she didn't want Serena to leave. Seren assured her she will stay in contact with her, which satisfied Mairin. Then, the farewells were over, and the gang left for Serena's house once again.

~~~~~

"We should be reaching Vaniville Town soon." Serena said excitedly, seeing places around her that she recognised.

"Finally..., we're almost there." Clemont said exhaustively. He was panting heavily, and he wobbled around as he walked.

Bonnie saw this and sweatdropped. "Come on Clemont, we haven't even walked that long. How are you so tired already?"

Clemont answered, "You'll understand when you're about my age."

Bonnie became even more confused, "But, aren't Ash and Serena the same age as you. They seem perfectly fine. I think it's just your problem." With that, the Lumiose siblings got involved in another one of their sibling fights once again.

Seeing this, Ash and Serena decided not to bother, and just continued walking. Serena then leaned on Ash's shoulder, sighing blissfully every now and then.

"I take it you can't wait to be back?"

Serena looked up at Ash, and replied, "I am. I can't wait to see Rhyhorn and my mother after so long."

Ash's face became one of horror, to which Serena almost immediately noticed. Serena became worried, and asked, "Umm Ash, is something wrong?"

Ash replied, "I just remembered this. My mother may have been okay with our relationship, but what will your mother say about it?" Serena understood Ash's worry. She remembered that her mother was very protective of her, and Serena knew her mother wouldn't allow her to get a boyfriend until she felt it was the right time.

However, she still had hope that her mother would approve of their relationship, and she tightened her grip on Ash's hand. She gave Ash her most beautiful smile, and reassured Ash, "Don't worry. No matter what happens, I will always stay by your side, no matter what my mother says."