3/19

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

-

Aragorn left with heavy heart as he heard Gimli's last words. The dwarf was right, but he did not think that he could save Legolas. Aragorn sat and leaned against the tree, he lowered his head and cried at the loss of his best friend. He could hear the neigh of the horses, but he ignored them until he felt arm on his shoulder, bringing him back to reality.

"Is this your horse, human?" asked a soft voice.

Aragorn sighed as he identified the voice, and rose to his feet.

"Haldir?" Aragorn asked, his face still covered by tears.

"What are you doing far away from your kingdom, King Elessar?" The March warden asked.

"Taking my last adventure with my friends," Aragorn said and let the tears leave his eyes.

"What is the matter, my lord?" Haldir asked, noting the sadness on Aragorn's face.

"Prince Legolas was badly hurt in the battle and I can not do anything for him," Aragorn said, fighting back fresh tears.

"WHAT?" Haldir exclaimed, not believing his ears "How? When?" he stared to ask, not understanding how it happened. Haldir scanned the area as Aragorn seemed to lose his words.

"Where is he?" Haldir asked.

"He is with Gimli," Aragorn said, and added as the tears start again to cover his cheeks "Inside the woods,"

"Come," Haldir said over to the guards and passed Aragorn who was still kneeling on the ground weeping.

Haldir walked through the woods, towards the sound of a deep voice and heavy breathing.

"Legolas, please stay with me," Gimli said, tears forming in his eyes.

"Legolas?" Gimli asked helplessly, but the only thing that he could hear was Legolas' harsh breath. Gimli tried again and again, pleading for Legolas to not give up, to keep his soul from leaving his numb body.

"Master Gimli," Haldir called. Gimli was surprised to see Haldir again, but his concern was for Legolas as he turned back to his best friend, not wanting to go away from him.

"Gimli, you need to let go," Haldir said and tried to take Gimli away from Legolas.

"He is not dead yet. Where is Aragorn? Can't he heal him?" Gimli cried in despair.

"From that wound, he can't Gimli," Haldir said.

"Then YOU can?" Gimli asked confused.

"There is something that I can do, to heal his deepest cut," Haldir said and signaled for the elves behind.

"Then what is it?" Gimli asked.