18/19

Sorry all, my mistake for not updating in this site, I'll correct it soon, starting now with this story.

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

AU. Book-verse.

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story. 

--

When Gimli and Haldir finally came back with the food, they heard Legolas' laugh.

"What is so funny?" Gimli groaned.

"Aragorn told me about both of you..." Legolas mumbled as he smiled at the dwarf, then the smile vanished from his face as he turned to glare at Haldir, as he said, "And Haldir..."

Haldir stared amused at Legolas and asked, "What about me?"

"For letting them know about how prideful elves are... and not giving up on me... though... I should give them a choice in hurting you a bit..." Legolas grinned at the March warden.

"Why did you do that?" Haldir asked as he moved closer to where the elf lay.

"I know that you have always wondered how I get along with these two, and now you had the chance while I was ill..." Legolas grinned at him.

"Aye, and to think what I remarked to you at how you kept the man and the dwarf on your side." Haldir smirked at him.

"I guess we are even, as now you know they are your friends as well as mine," Legolas pointed out to him.

"No we are not," Haldir smirked at him and then he added, "Tell us from the beginning what happened, I bet that they want to know as well as I."

"Well..." Aragorn eagerly said as he watched his friend, waiting for him to spill it out.

"I need your promise first," Legolas started, and then he looked at Aragorn and Gimli, as he continued, "Promise me that you will not hate me for what I did."

Aragorn and Gimli exchanged looks, and then they spoke together, "We promise."

Legolas nodded and then he started to tell, "Saving the lives of you both was a great matter to me, and it was important for me to save your life."

"Is that it? You must have another thing on your mind," Aragorn said to him, and then he continued, "I know you better than that; I know that this is not the only reason. Please, tell me what made you try and take your own life."

Legolas sighed, and with a small smile on his face he said, "Yes, you do know me more than that." Aragorn smiled at him, and waited for more him to say more. Legolas continued, "You are a king, and it is our last adventure, and I did not want for you to die because of what I had done, so I needed to choose and, in my opinion, I made the right choice."

Aragorn noticed the look that Legolas gave him. He lowered his head, closed his eyes, and wondered: 'and what about the choice I made? What if I had not followed your last words?'

Legolas could see the tenseness in his friend's face; he could see the failure in Aragorn's eyes.

Something seemed amiss to him and he began to feel that he was going to lose his friendship with Aragorn.

-THC-

Aragorn closed his eyes, taking a moment to think of what Legolas had said, and then he opened his eyes and glanced at him. "I do not hate you because of what you had done; nevertheless, I believe that not only I should thank you for saving our lives."

Aragorn stared at the dwarf who said the same, "You saved our lives and I also would not hate you."

Legolas sighed with relief after hearing what they both said.

There was the sound of coughing coming from behind them.

They all turned to see Haldir staring down at Legolas.

"Haldir, what is wrong?" Gimli asked and then he smirked at him, "Did you swallow something?"

"Nay, master dwarf," Haldir replied. His eyes were still locked on Legolas as he asked, "And what about your life? Did you have a death wish?"

Legolas stared at his kin, and calmed as he was he replied, "Nay. I do not have a death wish, but if it means that I will going to lose you in fight, there is no doubt that your life will come first."

"That is nonsense, the big bluff I ever going to hear you say, mellon-nin." Gimli was the first to burst in anger.

"It is not a bluff, Master Gimli, it is only the truth." Legolas said to him.

"It is what a friend will do," Aragorn turned away the anger as he felt the same as Gimli and understood the main reason that was behind of it, "Thank you Legolas for saving mine and Gimli life."

"Gimli," Aragorn turned to face the dwarf and then he added, "What is the matter with you?"

"My matter? If I recall you were angry with his behavior, he was bleeding not to mention almost killing you, and you dare asking about my matter?"

"That because he was not in his right mind." Aragorn replied to him, although by the look of Legolas's feature, the elf not seemed to love the answer.

"He did not mean it that way, Legolas." Haldir told to the elf.

"Then you may enlighten me my friend." Legolas advised him.